Skip to main content
Topic: 408 stroker project (Sold 4/2020) (Read 108774 times) previous topic - next topic

408 stroker project (Sold 4/2020)

I'm finally getting some work done on my xr-7. I've been pretty busy the last couple months just selling parts and getting all my parts in order.

I pulled the 351w from the xr-7 and its at the machine shop waiting patiently in line. The ported trickflow heads from the cougar and my edelbrock heads from the tbird are also at the machine shop getting totally redone. My orgional plan was to sell these two sets of heads and buy a set of AFR 185's. After talking to my head guy he's leaning toward the ported trickflows.

I have to still kick it around some more but it looks like the ported trickflows will be used on the 351. Once the Edelbrocks come back they will be totally rebuilt, valve job etc.. so if anyone needs a great set of heads here's your chance. I will post them here first w/ 1.6 Ford motor sport roller rockers.

I've been busy with the rest of the car while the parts are at the machine shop. I ordered all the brake parts for the 11" fronts, the interior is almost complete. So between the suspension and brake work I got work to do for the next month while I'm waiting for the block.

I scored a trickflow r intake on ebay this past week and I got it yesterday, Looks pretty cool. At least I have something to bolt some parts to now. It will make my parts pile shrink alittle bit.

Next update will be next sunday heres a couple pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

408 stroker project (For Sale 5/2018)

Reply #1
heres my intake pics :)

:burnout:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
hot!!!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #3
Heres an update I got the lower intake just about assembled. The interior is starting to shape up, I just need to add a radio and couple trim pieces. Carpets are now clean, all the dirt and acorns are cleaned up. Semi-new leather front seats. I bought a  load of rattle cans from eastwood. I got paint for the engine bay, alum parts, headers, oil pan, etc. So I got the engine bay all clean and just about ready for primer. I'm not going bananas with trying to get the engine bay perfect most of it will be covered up with stuff. I'm going black with the engine bay cause the whole car will be painted black some day. I don't think that will happen this year.

I've  made a major change with the engine combo. I talked to my machine shop guy and Jay Allen from Camshaft Innovations this week about my new plans of building a 408 stroker for the cougar. My conversation with Jay Allen went really well and I will be going with a custom cam by his company.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
couple more pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
Nice! What trans are you going to be using?

Reply #6
Wow
that car cleaned up  good!!!
the paint, interior, all looks amazing!!! Your doing a great job!
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #7
How much HP/TQ you expecting to make?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
That's insane.I love it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Quote from: thundr306;213729
Nice! What trans are you going to be using?

I got a tremec 3550

Quote from: daboss351;213731
Wow
that car cleaned up  good!!!
the paint, interior, all looks amazing!!! Your doing a great job!

The paint is still py, the other side has alot more patches of clearcoat missing. I don't care though, I just want everything running good by the summertime.

Quote from: thunderjet302;213732
How much HP/TQ you expecting to make?

I have no idea, when I get with with Jay again on phone I'll ask him for an est.

Quote from: vinnietbird;213736
That's insane.I love it.

Thanks, I can't wait to get the block back from the machine shop.

I'll get some pics of the heads when they come back from the machine shop. I'm going to use the ported trickflows that came with the cougar when I bought it. I was first concerned that the trickflows would be too small and never even considered stroking my 351w but after speaking to Jay Allen he assures me that the over all combo will be still very good. His cam should really bring it all together nicely.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Got some work done today. Engine bay is about as good as I can get it. Once the engine is back in there most of it will be covered anyway. I just have to take all that red wire loom off and its done.

The two sets of heads are done and the block is cleaned up and bored. The Jay Allen cam is ordered and being made. All I have left is to order the 408 stroker kit. I'm busting my ass painting houses and doing side jobs trying to get enough money up to order the forged kit. I wanted the forged crank over the cast but we'll see. I have to get it soon I don't want to mess up my place in line at the machine shop.

Here's some pics:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
couple more
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Looks good for a quicky!
Good work man! Motors more important anyway!
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #13
Quote from: daboss351;215047
Looks good for a quicky!
Good work man! Motors more important anyway!

I put like 4 hours into doing that, it sure didn't feel like a quicky. I couldn't imagine doing the 30-40 hours it takes to fill in all the holes and painting it right without a rattle can.

I'm happy with it though, most of it will be covered up by the 408 and all its fuel injection stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Well quicky as opposed to pulling the harness and suspension and everything. Came out good, and Im sure that motor is gonna look SWEET so it doesnt matter.
my $300 beater ;)