Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW, what a difference !!

87 3.8 CAT Guest

Default WOW, what a difference !!

I finally installed new rear shocks and springs Monday. I was amazed at the simplicity of this task (first time for shocks / springs), and even more amazed at the difference in the drive and ride. I know now that A-arm bushings are a very near project, and would have installed them this time if I had a way to the parts store while it was all apart. I didn't knw what to expect and wasn't prepared for what I'd find. I'll have the parts by this wekend, and possibly the time to change them within the next couple weeks.

Anyway, will changing the struts on the front be anywhere near as simple? Anything else I should change at the same time so I can get everything together before tearing it apart and regretting not having a way to the parts store? I usually only get to do this type of wprk on Monday's when my wife is at work and won't have another car to run after anything.

Thanks...
    Dave
    Last edited by 87 3.8 CAT; 08-24-2005 at 08:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: WOW, what a difference !!

which springs to you go with?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Front is a lot more difficult but its really not too bad. All I can say is be careful if you are changing the front springs too. They'll take your head off.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

87 3.8 CAT Guest

The springs were stock TC springs. I was hoping to raise the rear just a little, and did so, but not sure if it was the springs, shocks or both. The springs look to be the same as the ones I took from the Cougar. I was getting tired of seeing $50 worth of gas squat the rear to ride just on top of the tires.

I knew the struts would be a little more complicated, but not sure what all is involved. Guess I'll get the Chilton's out and play a little. With new struts, it should raise it 'cause it seems to sink a bit now. Can I put the Mustang stock springs on with the standard struts to help offset the difference in height as I don't want to raise the front any?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think springs really dictate the height and not shocks and struts. Shocks and struts just dampen the bouncing of the car, the springs actually hold it up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Struts are pretty easy to change actually...put a floor jack under the control arm, take out the two bolts holding the strut to the spindle, and then zip off the nut on top of the strut tower and the strut will come right out.

Garrett H.
    '94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
    '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip

87 3.8 CAT Guest

Pretty much like the shocks. What else should I change at the same time as the struts? I've also read here something to do with having an alignment when struts were changed. Should I have an alignment with new struts or am I confused from another thread? Seems like the thread I'm remembering might have been more involved than just struts being changed.

One other question, will TC springs lower my front end, 3.8? I know stock Stang springs will, but can't find a thread referencing the TC's. I have a set of the TC's and if they will lower it about an inch or so, I'm gonna put them in also.

Thanks for the help...
    Dave
    Last edited by 87 3.8 CAT; 08-25-2005 at 09:34 PM.

greg wys Guest

I dont think stang springs will work in our cars, I would stick with the t/c suspension, its like the GT equivilent in stangs. I have t/c thru out and love it.

greg wys Guest

oh forgot something, the stock cougar springs are specific rate,(except xr7) that means as the spring colapses the return force from the spring stays the same, in the variable rate springs as the load increases so does the return force from the spring. Did that make sense? If not let me know i'll find another way to b s you.

jlewis05 is offline No Life Turboford College Kid
    Feedback Score

Please secure the jack carefully under the control arm, as once the spindle's out, the jack is all that's holding the spring in place.
    Long time Turboford freak...
    84 SVO
    88 TC
    87 XR4Ti