Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing the MC assembly is fun!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Removing the MC assembly is fun!

Well today I started on converting my car over to regular vacuum brakes. After spending about 3 hours laying under my dash, that's not something I care to repeat anytime soon On the bright side, I did manage to get 3 of the nuts off the old assembly and back on the new booster (under the dash) with a ratchet, which helped keep me from going insane!

But, at least I got the hard part done (old MC assembly out, vac booster in), now I just gonna bench bleed the new MC, put in the brake lines, and bleed the system.

Just an FYI for anyone doing a conversion like this- on the Turbo Coupe proportioning valve, the front port is 5/16" and the rear one is 3/16". I expected the front one to be 1/4" like the spare mustang prop valve I have, but of course then I wouldn't have to run to the parts store again

Also...the ABS master cylinder assembly weighs a TON! I figure I gotta be dropping a couple pounds by going to this vac booster/aluminum MC setup.
    Last edited by Red_LX; 08-22-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Garrett H.
    '94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
    '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip

Feedback Score

Default Re: Removing the MC assembly is fun!

i wouldnt mind hearing the complete rundown on this swap when everything is done.my brother is having some problems with his 88 tc brakes.been trying to talk him into this swap for a while now,but his main efforts are going towards big ugly wagon right now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Actually, so far it's been pretty straightforward. The biggest problems I had were getting the old MC assembly out (because it's so huge and the brake fittings are a PITA to get at, and because it's so hard to get at everything under the dash) and then getting the new booster in (parts of the wiring harness kept getting behind the booster as I was trying to seat it against the firewall).

Other than that...there's plenty of room to fit the booster, you can tee it right off the vac tree (where the main vac like from the upper manifold hooks up) and there's plenty of room for the MC also. BTW- I'm using a '85 Town Car MC (1" bore), it's a 2 port so I'm doing a 2-port conversion on the car (I'm basing it off the way Maximum motorsports does their kit...you can download the instructions as a pdf on their website). Also I can list part numbers for the brake tees and adapters I used if anyone needs them.

Garrett H.
    '94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

warned ya it wasn't fun

1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
    1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
    1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
    Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Whenever you're getting under the dash to work,pull the seat.It only takes a minute,and then you can lay in the floor with your feet propped up on the rear seat,and it's a lot more comfortable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How do ya think I got up under there? My big ass sure as hell isn't gonna fit with the seat still in there.

I'd like to see somebody get at the MC mounting bolts without taking out the seat...you'd have to be some kind of contortionist.

Anyway I knew it wasn't gonna be fun, you scared me when you said those top two bolts would only come out with a wrench! Fortunately I only had to use a wrench on one, got the other with the ratchet + lots of extensions + a flex extension.

Garrett H.
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Luckily I haven't had to do that (change the MC).I think if I ever have to,I'll just pull the dash and replace the heater core while I'm at it.Mine seems fine now,but as sure as I do big work under the dash for hours,the core will go bad.I've had to replace that before.Holy moly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My heater core is dead but I haven't changed it. I think removing the master cylinder assembly was a whole lot easier than taking the whole dash out.

Garrett H.
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_LX
    How do ya think I got up under there? My big ass sure as hell isn't gonna fit with the seat still in there.

I'd like to see somebody get at the MC mounting bolts without taking out the seat...you'd have to be some kind of contortionist.

Anyway I knew it wasn't gonna be fun, you scared me when you said those top two bolts would only come out with a wrench! Fortunately I only had to use a wrench on one, got the other with the ratchet + lots of extensions + a flex extension.
    YEAH now I know what I have to go through to replace mine. Damn this is gonna be fun. I can fit though. Im tall but skinny, shouldnt be a problem. What MC should I buy? I need a good one.
    "Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"

1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0 BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
    1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, Mufflex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit muffler kit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The real problem I had was fitting my arms up under the dash while still being able to see what I was doing. It was a challenge, that's for sure. I found that disconnecting the brake pedal from the linkage made the MC nuts a little bit easier to get at. Also if you take the plastic panel below the steering column off, it allows you to get the extensions in there to get at the nuts.

Anyway, I got a rebuilt '85 Town Car MC (1" bore, all aluminum, but its the old style that doesn't have a plastic reservoir, $30 at advance auto parts) and I used a 5.0 Mustang booster. Since your car is an '84 you won't have to get all the metric-SAE adapters I did...
    Last edited by Red_LX; 08-24-2005 at 01:46 AM.

Garrett H.
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip