Thread: Opinions on a new cam.....

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Default Opinions on a new cam.....

OK....the story.....

I have a custom Ed Curtis cam. Made for my car. Since the cam was installed a few years ago, I changed the following....

3.55 to 3.73 gears
    Shorty headers to long tubes
    GT40 intake to Trick Flow R
    70mm tbody to a 75

My thoughts are the cam isn't as optimal as it was because it was made for a certain combo.

I have a new Anderson N41 cam on my work bench, has anyone ever had an experience with them?

Also, do you think a Trick Flow R intake is actually more for racing and I'd be better off with a Track Heat or Street Heat style intake/
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score

Get ahold of Ed. Since he ground it, he may have a better sugestion than what you'll get here. Have you thought about 1.7rrs providing you have clearance? Maybe a simple solution. I know they woke up my stock H.O. Cam
    84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
    71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

X2 on the call to Ed.
    '84 and '87 Mustangs
    '98 Explorer

FORD forever!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Vinnie you should definitely contact Ed, I will say that the Anderson cams are good cams (I know someone running the N71 in a 347 stroker that runs 10 0's), but a custom ground cam is the way to go! I know Ed from racing in the NMRA, he is a good guy and will take care of you.

Feedback Score

I havent used the N41 myself, so cant comment on it, although the specs seem in line with a mixed-use HCI combo on a 302/306. As stated, get Ed's feedback on whether a cam change is worth it, hard to compare without knowing your driving/perf expectations or the specs on the custom.

The R is a capable intake but it will certainly be less punchy if you swapped from a ported Cobra or something similar. Its an aggressive intake for a low-rpm 302. If the car is 97% street driven at moderate rpm levels the driver's impression will probably be a negative one. Or they'll be looking to swap to deeper gears.

As a point of reference, fully optioned/nothing removed 5 speed fox Mustang vert, comparable weight to your Bird. 3.73 gears, full length 1 3/4 headers, engine is a little healthier, a 331ci, 10:1 comp, AFR 185's with upgrades, custom cam, fully ported Edel RPM 1 intake with 75 T/b, 36lb inj, stock EEC, shifted at 6K. Switched to an intake similar to the TFS R, the Holley. On dyno, car lost TQ and HP from 3400-5200. The gains above 5200 were single digits until close to 6K where it might have held a 14-15rwhp advantage. Tuned it on 3 dyno pulls and took it out on weekend. Car felt softer at anything less than 5K rpms but was an animal above it and ran close to same as before against known closely matched competitors.

All of that to say that its important to be brutally honest with what you want out of a combo. Lots of guys, on and off the internet, just chasing a number. An ET, a dyno #, etc.. Changing an intake (or gears, or cam, or heads, etc) may help for that, but the street driven experience may suffer. And it may take other changes to bring the cam or intake swap into its own. Those further mods or changes can have upsides/downsides associated with them, as well.

In the example above, the owner went back to the modified Edelbrock intake.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I'd ask the cam grinder what he thinks before swapping cams. He may suggest an intake swap. You might need more cam than you'd be comfortable with on the street to get the most out of that Trick Flow R.

I did swap from a GT40 intake to an Edelbrock Performer RPM I intake about 3 years ago. Felt like I lost nothing on the low end but gained a bunch above 5000. Highway pulls are much better than with the GT40. The Performer RPM I is kinda in between a GT40 and Trick Flow R.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

E-mail Ed. He doesn't do phones.
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I messaged him. He has seen it, but no reply yet.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vinnietbird View Post
    I messaged him. He has seen it, but no reply yet.
    Par for Ed Curtis from what I've seen over the last 15 years!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Vinnie,

I have one of Ed's cams in the 331 that is in my Mustang and any changes to the combo will net an email to him. Hands down the best combo I have had so far. If I wasn't so lazy I would get one ordered for the Bird but I just hate to open up that motor...