Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Density and Supercharging?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by CougarSE View Post
    Agreed, there is no reason to try and use 30 year old tech when there are so many options nowadays even beyond the ever increasing in price megasquirt.
    Has anybody here ever used megasquirt? If so, what are the capabilities and how is the tuning software that comes with it? I looked at them back when I started but it was too expensive for me and it looked like a nightmare to set up. I use a Moates Quarterhorse that plugs into the J3 port of the ECU and I run Binary Editor for my tuning software. Cost me a total of $350.00 plus the price of a cheap used laptop, works great for what I use it for. I ended up buying another one to tune my friends cars I also have a chip burner which is handy, I use the Quarterhorse to do the initial tuning then just burn a chip from the saved file on Binary Editor.

Feedback Score

I used an early version of it a long time ago on a friends car, it was okay overall but Im sure its been improved since. The setup you have is probably the best bang for the buck for what you're doing.

I'll say this. There is a hell of alot to be said for some brutal honesty in an early weighing out of the benefits/choice of power adder versus the need to tune, datalog, be mindful of seasonal changes in fuel/air temps/density, and keep good records for all of it. Some people are dedicated to it and will play by the rules, some just won't.

All of that to say, in my experience, you can't really advise a power adder or engine mgmt program until you know what kind of owner you have and their expectations.
    Last edited by Vintage; 01-10-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Easily reversible is relative to the skills and resources of the individual.
    For example: I am an ASE Master technician, I have tools, lifts, stands, cranes and keys to the shop. I'd pull that 30k HO motor and store it, and I'd replace it with a 331 with a twin screw blower, a mild cam, MAF, a Walbro 255, and a tune. I'd swap the whole exhaust for 2.5" and Magnaflows with large long tube headers. Why? Because I can, and if I wanted to put it all back, I could do that, too.
    For somebody more normal, nitrous is probably the easiest install/uninstall to offer reasonable gains.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)