Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mid Output Intake Question

Feedback Score

I'll def check PTV clearance once I start tearing into this thing. My intentions for this car are for it to be a fair weather driver. I like how comfortable it is for long trips so I'll probably try to get some of that in too.

Feedback Score

Right on man looks like you're well on your way, a stock 60mm mustang throttle body will be perfect. and let us know about the piston to valve clearance with that setup just so I know because I'm curious. I assume it will be fine but never done it.

Feedback Score

It should def always be checked but I've done it years ago with an 86 GT. It had the flat top piston with no valve reliefs or dish. Using the stock 86 GT cam and Gt40 heads off a 93-5 Cobra. It ran surprisingly strong for a fairly basic bolt-on car using a ported HO lower and extrude honed upper intake. I still have that upper intake, come to think of it, haha.

Cowboy, you might want to shop around the cost of having a quick cleanup port job on the lower intake. Someone local and experienced should be able to pickup some torque and horsepower from the midrange rpm's to wherever your shiftpoint is at. Money well spent for a budget build. The intake is already off the car, there is no better to time to get it done then now.

Feedback Score

What does this porting job typically cost?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You need to get ahold of Tom Moss and have him port it. He ported my lower Cobra intake and it was like night and day on the dyno. I believe his email is mosstpsa"at"sbcglobal.net (put the "at" in there in lieu of the symbol) and this should direct you to their website (took a minute to load up).

http://tmossporting.0catch.com/

Feedback Score

I had heard Tom Moss turned that business over to his son, not sure. He is good at what he does though. Anyhow, if you go that route, there is the cost of shipping the intake both ways, plus the cost of the porting, which I imagine is somewhere around $150 or so by itself.

What I would do, unless you live in the middle of Nowhere, Nebraska.. is check around at your local machine shops, cylinder head shops, speed shops if you have any in your town or the local dragstrip if you don't.

Usually one or two locals names will keep coming up as the guy who knows his crap. Get his number or webpage and dont be afraid to ask questions and see some of his work.

A good port guy will usually stay busy, dont be surprised or discouraged if the there is a 2 or 3 week backlog. Quality work takes time.

The advantage here is, if you find someone good thats local, you can get the intake done and for your intended use of the car, get some basic tricks done on the heads. Nothing crazy, just basic bowl/valve seat/chamber work and light transitioning into the ports is it. For mild street engines, the basic porting tricks is where probably 75% of the potential power gains are to be had. If you can get that, without paying shipping, plus the added benefit of the head work, you'll have lifted both the engine's power and fuel efficiency levels. Thats what its all about.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Need an HO TB and EGR? I'm yo' guy..lol.
    '84 and '87 Mustangs
    '98 Explorer

FORD forever!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

So Tom has turned the "business" over to his son but is still doing quality checks and has been doing this for a couple years now. All I can say is the proof in the work and quality is in the shear number of intakes they have done over the years and the work he did on mine was outstanding and picked up on the dyno. Do a Google search on Tom and you will find hundreds of satisfied customers. Just didn't what them to get any kind of a bad rep here being that his son had taken the business over as evidently the quality translated.

Feedback Score

ThunderbirdSport302, I ended up picking up a BBK 65mm TB and EGR spacer combo for a decent deal. Thank you for letting me know though.