Thread: control arm fitment and sway bars

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default control arm fitment and sway bars

Before I order some 03/04 cobra front control arms is there in fitment problems with them? Also these cars use regular foxbody sway bars right?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

They are dimensionally the same as the 87-88 Thunderbird control arms.

87-88 Thunderbirds use a front sway bar that is slightly wider than the sway bar used on Fox Mustangs.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What sway bars will fit on the 87-88 cars?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

You can use TC sway bars or Foxbody Mustang GT sway bars. I run TC bars front and back and it made a huge difference in handling
    87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter 3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates, Work In Progress....... ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I've also seen SN95 sway bars used. I don't believe that there is any benefit over fox body bars, but it is another option.
    It's Gumby's fault.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

So i'm guessing the sn95 sway bars would be wider?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The SN95 bars are about 3" wider than the Fox bars. On the SN95 cars the bar mounts directly under the frame where the Fox cars the mounts are inboard of the frames. Guys have run the SN95 bars on Fox Mustangs and some complained of it rubbing the wheel/rim. If you can swipe one from a salvage yard for cheap it would be interesting to see how it fits up under an 87-88 car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'll have to try that out whenever i do ill post on here how it works out. Stealth wants to see my progress on here with the tbird and so i guess when i have time ill make thread for the progress on my cars

Feedback Score

Indeed, I will be interested to hear of your exploits. Look at the build sheet, it may have sway bar numbers. I don't know sway bar part numbers, but the Sport had a tubular ft bar of larger than stock diameter, and a rear bar which I think LX cars did not have. You may have the good stuff already under there, although there are surely stiffer aftermarket units available.