Thread: Dash board lights out

Feedback Score

Default Dash board lights out

My dashboard lights went out in my car yesterday, but them came back on later. Then they went out again. I noticed that when they did work and I used the dimmer switch to turn on inside lights the dash went dark again, but came back on when i turned off interior lights with the dimmer switch. Does this sound like a bad headlight/dimmer switch? I did have a turn signal and headlight out, but i replaced them and this happened after. Any suggestions or advice, thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

First thing, what year car are you talking about? Analog or Digital dash?
    Mike

Feedback Score

1988 digital speedometer but analog guages forgot to add that.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Check the wiring for the headlamp/dimmer switch. Sometimes they burn, causing weird issues, since the power for the lights runs through the switch. Also check the ignition switch, especially if any other weird electrical gremlins are present.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

I took it out and there was a bunch of blue/green powder residue underneath the switch. I blew that off and it seems to be working now, but still shuts off the panel when i turn the done light. What is that part specifically called that I would replace? When I have looked up the headlight switch it doesn’t look like the part that I saw.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    Check the wiring for the headlamp/dimmer switch. Sometimes they burn, causing weird issues, since the power for the lights runs through the switch. Also check the ignition switch, especially if any other weird electrical gremlins are present.

Thanks for the advice.