Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing Intake, throttle body- questions?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    The gas is due to elevation. There is approximately 10% less air at 10k ft elevation. Since there is less air, you need less octane to prevent detonation..
    That's not true, increased octane LESSENS the chance of detonation...

You guys get the "cheap" gas as higher octane isn't needed...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

That elevation out there cuts the nuts off anything without forced induction.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    The gas is due to elevation. There is approximately 10% less air at 10k ft elevation. Since there is less air, you need less octane to prevent detonation.the gas would be the same or equal to 93 octane gas at an elevation of 4000ft or so and actually slightly higher at elevations above that. Its not worse gas, they just put less octane crap in it.

I run my stock junk around 16*. In not saying stock h.o. stuff, I am saying stock s.o. stuff. We have about 10% ethonal. It both boosts octane equivalent and makes less power and gas mileage. I run it about 16* to get some power back, doesn't effect gas mileage or detonation.
    I'm at 2300ft in Henderson. I think the valley is 1500ft. No problems with the TC running premium all the time. We get CA crap gas here. No choice.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I've been down this road.

If I were you I'd wait and get better heads, then just do it all at once. Skip the iron GT40/GT40P heads if you can help it. I had GT40Ps. The car ran good but it was a night and day difference going from GT40P heads to Edelbrock Performer heads. The car picked up 4.5 mph and .5 seconds from just the head swap with no other changes.

So that being said a 24/30lb injectors, 70mm throttle body, Explorer GT40 intake, and a good 165/170cc intake runner aluminum head (Edelbrock Performer/AFR165/Twisted Wedge 170) along with a stock HO cam will make good power and be very streetable. Much more fun that E7 or GT40/GT40P heads.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score

I've been doing a little research since I first posted. Thanks for the heads-up from the members here. Have you guys heard of "The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 Tech Reference"?. Been reading up on all of the different 5.0s Ford built. Learned a lot about the intakes and especially the heads. I agree- the heads will be part of the transformation as well as the intake, throttle body, MAF, injectors and probably the cam. Car runs great as is so I'll start collecting parts necessary. I'm not in the habit of doing something half assed. Other than the intake I'll buy new parts.

Thunderjet- Thanks for the information on the heads. The Edelbrock or Twisted Wedge heads look good. What do you think of the 1.7 rockers? Also I will be using the Ford 1" spacer on the intake.

After all of the work she will be going to the dyno and see what needs to be tweaked. I'll post here as I go along.

Thank You guys for the help.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

With the stock cam 1.7s should clear fine.

Only run an intake spacer if you need it for valve cover clearance. A 1/2" spacer will work fine and clear the stock hood. The GT40 intakes have plenty of runner length as it is so adding a spacer isn't really necessary.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.

Feedback Score

1.7s it is. I use a 1" spacer on my HO engine mainly for heat but also for clearance to check the injectors for leaks and keep things cleaned up.

I used the motor mount perches off of the LSC and had them welded in. With the 1" spacer on the HO intake I have 1.25" of space under the hood.

I still have my Sport hood and want to have it cut along the ridge, add 1.5", raising it up like a cowl hood only all metal. I don't like the look and finish of most cowl hoods.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tommym View Post
    1.7s it is. I use a 1" spacer on my HO engine mainly for heat but also for clearance to check the injectors for leaks and keep things cleaned up.

I used the motor mount perches off of the LSC and had them welded in. With the 1" spacer on the HO intake I have 1.25" of space under the hood.

I still have my Sport hood and want to have it cut along the ridge, add 1.5", raising it up like a cowl hood only all metal. I don't like the look and finish of most cowl hoods.
    I wouldn't be worried about hood clearance. I'm talking about runner length. The distance air travels from the upper intake plenum to the cylinder head. A GT40 intake has about 15" of runner length. Adding a 1" spacer gives you 16" of runner length. All the spacer is doing is shifting the engine power band down (longer runner = lower rpm power peak). The long runner GT40 intake doesn't need any more help creating low rpm power. If anything a 1" spacer would lower peak power rpm and cut top end power somewhat.

Feedback Score

Got it. I understand what you are talking about. Thanks for the explanation.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Just trying to help, a bit.

That being said I did run a 1/2" intake spacer when I had an Explorer GT40 intake. I needed it for valve cover clearance. Without it the throttle bracket hit the valve covers I was running. That is the only reason I would run an intake spacer.

BTW I know you have a T5 but what rear gear do you have in the car? 3.55s or 3.73s?