Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: My 85 TBird

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1 step forward, 3 steps back, or something like that. Reinstalled the motor/trans to find that the steering shaft now hit the tube on the other side. It was the right idea but needed a tighter bend. Ordered a u bend on a tighter radius and it worked out. The steering shaft finally has all kinds of clearance.

Now the 3 steps back. Installed some new ford motor mounts before the last install. Not only did it raise the motor around 1/4" they also moved it rearward. The r mount was slightly bent, and both mounts had the rubber slightly torn, I assume from the accident the donor car was in. You would think a guy that fixes wrecks for a living would know better. As tight as things are this relocation caused some issues. 1) r header is smashed up against the firewall. 2) The strut tower brace no longer clears the intake tube. 3) The air intake tube no longer reaches the air box. So dropped the motor back out and reamed out the motor mount holes in the k member forward 1/4", should have went 1/8" further. This helped the header to firewall issue some. To help with the difference in height I am going to increase the spacer between the k member and body from 3/8" to 1/2" or 5/8" if needed. Then will see what else is needed from there.

A two post lift sure would be nice for this but here is how I am getting the motor/trans in and out. I am getting pretty good at it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post lift. Fork lift. What ever works .
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman View Post
    Thanks. Was thinking about a heat barrier on the inside, will have to check into the Lizard skin, never heard of it.

Did you get back up north yet for that Bird? I am gaining on ya. lol.
    Hey Joe, That Lizzard skin is some great stuff. Check out this demo on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9z_XlP4dY
    Here's a link http://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-...llon-pail.html you might find it cheaper somewhere else though

Haven't made it up there yet but I'm working on it. You'll probably pass me up at this rate. lol

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
    16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
    17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

“Heavy Metal Mistress”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

thunderjet302

Post lift. Fork lift. What ever works .
    Yeah, it's a little cumbersome but it gets the job done.

1BadBird

Hey Joe, That Lizzard skin is some great stuff. Check out this demo on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9z_XlP4dY
    Here's a link http://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-...llon-pail.html you might find it cheaper somewhere else though

Haven't made it up there yet but I'm working on it. You'll probably pass me up at this rate. lol
    Thanks for the links, watched the vid and a few others. May have to give it a try.

Spent some time tonight and shimmed the k member to 5/8", and after shifting the motor in the k member (rotated up on the l side) was able to get the intake tube back under the strut tower brace. I will need to make a 3/8" spacer to get the mass air flow bolted back up to the air intake box. Once I get the dash out I will tackle the header to firewall issue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Have been working on the exhaust now that the motor is setting in it's final resting place. Finished up the mid pipe tonight. My prochamber doesn't look much better than the MAC, but is a little smoother on the inside.

Inside the MAC

Inside my version before the end was welded on

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That is some terrible welding on the MAC unit for sure! I'm starting to think their signature "box" is just a cover up for the crappy welding and lack of quality control. I think I would rather have yours on my car any day of the week. What diameter exhaust are you going with and what mufflers are you going to run?

Darren

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It's 2 1/2" 304 stainless pipe. Considered going 3" but from what I have read the cobra guys seem to push some pretty big power #'s thru the bolt on 2 1/2" kits.

Have SLP power flow mufflers (pic on post #81). They are straight thru design and am hoping that they are not to loud. More concerned about in the cabin noise than out the tailpipe. Going to band clamp them in for easy remove and replace if I don't like them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Any updates on this project?
    87 LX 302, E7's, ARP bolts, Mallory Unilite Distributor, MSD 6A, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Flowtech Long tubes, 5Speed, 8.8w/4.10's, Granatelli Tube K-Member & LCA's, Coil Overs, KYB 4ways, CHE arms, 3" rear drop springs, BBK C/C Plates, SN-95 5-lug stuff, Fuel Cell, Battery Relocation, Mac Mufflers, Stinger Tails, Sunpro gauges, Custom Lip Spoiler

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

87thunderbirdBlackJack

Any updates on this project?
    Nothing to update on the bird. Seems I can never focus on one project at a time. Have been getting things ready for the SHO wagon swap, revamped one shop hoist and since it turned out well going to do the other. Also working on a different wrecker chassis to replace the 85 F350, frame is about rusted out in a few places, cracking in others.

The hoist revamp will make it so I can get the drivetrain out of the bird without having to use the fork lift. Also makes it much easier to get to the lift points of everything else. Post 131 shows what the hoist did look like.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

So its been 2-1/2 years since an update on this. Did you start another thread or did it die on a vine at some point? I hope not as this was shaping up to be one hell of a car.