Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New issues after the fuel pump change

Feedback Score

Default New issues after the fuel pump change

Well after all I went through on the fuel pump change the car runs like hell now.

I switched from the original to a 155 lph pump, but now it seems like itís not getting enough fuel.

Tell me what you think-

First of all the car will barely start. Before the change the old pump was loud, but the cars started right up. Now I have to turn it over for 8-12 seconds before it will even sputter.

When I get on the gas, it seems like the car has no power, and it revs a lot higher before it finally changes gears.

Occasionally when I speed up to try to pass or whatever, the car starts sputtering and jerking around. As long as I go slow, Iím fine.

I was afraid that the pump might turn since it was smaller than the original hose and twist the fuel line, so I tried to clamp it down well, but I know it still may have moved. Especially since the filter sock was different and I was guessing at the angle. I can easily see that twisting the pump and crimping the hose inside the tank.

Before I drop that $@*&%$ tank again, is there something else I need to adjust after switching to the bigger pump, or does it sound like something is restricting the fuel flow?

Thanks for any input.

Feedback Score

Default Re: New issues after the fuel pump change

Bueller?

Bueller?

Nate is offline If I could get a firm grip on reality, I'd choke it!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

did you check your fuel pressure? didnt drop a assload of rust into the gas tank when u switched pumps did you? that could clog it
    1987 Ford ThunderBird Turbo
    2001 F250 diesel 6speed
    2001 taco on 37's with home made armor plate
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/585475

Feedback Score

I didn't check the fuel pressure. Honestly I am still at the rookie stage when it comes to working on cars, so I'm not even sure how to do that. What would be teh easiest way to check it? How hard is it to hook up a fuel pressure gauge? Sure should be easier than dropping the tank again only to find out "that ain't it".

I tried not to get rust in the tank, and went so far as to clean out all the crap I could get to with my little hand pump. I don't think that is it, but it looks like I'm going to have to drop the tank again this weekend anyway, so we will see.

On a side note it is my rookie status that makes me post these questions so frequently, but I really do appreciate people jumping in and offering any suggestions. I wouldn't even be able to keep the car running without you guys and this site. So....Thanks.

Feedback Score

Ok, so as not to competely rely on you guys I have been researching fuel pressure gauges a little.

Long term should I go with electric? Do I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

Short term, do you think this would work until I could work on a cleaner install of the gauges, etc?

Homemade Gauge
    Last edited by bq93; 11-02-2004 at 02:56 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

if your just using the gauge for testing/diagnosis autozone sears napa etc sell them no idea on price maybe $30...... they just screw onto the schrader fitting (looks like tire valve) on fuel rail. no ideas on permanent dash install other than you need an isolator so fuel is not entering passenger area

Feedback Score

OK got a gauge, so what sort of pressures should I be seeing?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

rock solid 40psi.

If you drive with it hooked up, you get to see your real problem. Hook it up to the schrader valve, duct tape the tester to your windshield and take it for a drive.

If your needle moves during your shifting,, the pump aint worth a dime.

I bought a supercharge v6 pump and it does not move even when i floor it.

whats all this talk bout the FPR? Yeah,, you might as well get a new one but if your old one is not bad,, dont think you could compensate by adjusting or changing the fpr.

trust me,, put the guage on your windshield and drive it. it only makes sense to troubleshoot in a manner that is as close to the problem as you can get,,ie-problem while the car is under loaded conditions.
    Last edited by jcassity; 11-02-2004 at 08:18 PM.

Feedback Score

OK I've got an 88 302 SO, and if I have it on the right valve I'm only getting about 10-15.

Am I missing something here?

If not it looks like at least I've narrowed it down to the pump

.....right?

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

jcassity,

unless I'm on the wrong valve I don't think my gauge will reach the windshield.