Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: full digital dash?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default full digital dash?

dont know exactly where to put this so moderators move it if you deem it appropriate to.
    question,
    did turbo coupes come with the full digital dash (all gauages plus tach and the mileage center) cluster?
    Mike

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

We only do 87/88 TCs, so I can only talk to those. I "assume" 83/86 would be the same, but don't know for sure. Anyway, the 87/88 only came with analog dashes, including the speedo, tach AND boost gauge. Digital was not an option, you could not get a digital dash in an 87/88 TC. Hope this helps a little bit.
    1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
    1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
    1934 Ford - My project car

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'm assuming it was because there was no boost gauge or ride control light in the digi clusters
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I always figured Ford marketed the digital dash for the 'high end luxury' cars and the analog for the performance cars. Just my opinion.

Attached is a 83 TC cluster for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    tbirdregistry.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

None of the turbo cars came with a digital dash... Analog only. The age of digital dash readouts was fairly short lived. Professional drivers and enthusiasts actually prefer analog gauges and often criticized cars that didn't have them. Ford wanted it's performance models to be taken seriously as driver's cars competitive with german makes, so they were only fitted with analog gauges.

Ford got a lot of flack for introducing the 1983 Turbo Coupe with a tachometer in the center of the dash replacing the clock. Later it was remedied by replacing the fuel gauge with a tachometer and filling in the PRNOD1 indicator with a fuel gauge. The lack of other small gauges was fixed with the 1985 instrument panel redesign.

I did however love the digital speedometer readout in my 1985 Tbird. It wasn't the full digital cluster. That car and my 89 Grand Prix were the only two cars that I ever had with a digital speedo readout. I actually liked them that way.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rodsterh View Post
    I always figured Ford marketed the digital dash for the 'high end luxury' cars and the analog for the performance cars. Just my opinion.

Attached is a 83 TC cluster for reference
    Now I am having cluster envy... I would love to switch out for a tach!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

While we are here, does anyone have a picture of 84, 85, 86 clusters? It would be good reference material.

If you do, feel free to post here and list the year and car (TC, Heritage, Elan, etc)
    tbirdregistry.com

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

i have a full digi cluster in the garage..........needing a home.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by rodsterh View Post
    While we are here, does anyone have a picture of 84, 85, 86 clusters? It would be good reference material.

If you do, feel free to post here and list the year and car (TC, Heritage, Elan, etc)

Sorta like this '86 Base model cluster? I actually have two 86 base birds, and a spare cluster to boot. Dunno if it works, though, nor how many miles are on it. I REALLY must power that thing up one day. I need to grab a dash harness to make a test rig with anyway.

Sorry for the detour, but here ya go ....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2330505&id=542542798

(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What year? Pic?
    tbirdregistry.com