Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing Discovery This Morning

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Unhappy Disturbing Discovery This Morning

Ok guys, I took the EGR valve off this morning, and to my shock and amazement, I saw the following:

The EGR appears cracked, so it's going to have to be replaced. I might not seem like I know all the much about cars at times, but I'm pretty sure that hole in the EGR is supposed to be open and not sealed.

The previous owner appears to have used JB weld to seal the crack in the EGR. I'm praying that's not what's clogged that Hole in the Upper Intake...if that's the case...I'm SOL.

Someone please tell me that by making this horrifying discovery, I may have solved my strange engine running woes. I mean, surely having those two holes plugged can't be right!?
    <---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
    -DMC24guy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There's supposed to only be one open hole on the EGR valve and on the intake. The gasket has two holes in it but I dunno why, I assume for other vehicles. Nothing's wrong as far as that goes.

Garrett H.
    '94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
    '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

No...There is only one EGR hole in the intake.

You will have to replace that EGR valve though.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well that's a relief. But damn, I figured this was going to be the reason for my Weird Idling problem. Surely having a cracked up EGR can't be good for the engine though.
    <---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
    -DMC24guy

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC24guy View Post
    Well that's a relief. But damn, I figured this was going to be the reason for my Weird Idling problem. Surely having a cracked up EGR can't be good for the engine though.
    Well your picture sucks, so it's hard to tell where it is cracked. If it is cracked and allowing extra air into the engine at idle, it will idle high.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Actually,you probably have bigger problems than you know,and the car isn't going to be worth fixing,SOOOOOOO,go ahead and send me the header panel.LOL
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

TucanSam Guest

Well stop by and I will look at it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

u can see where its cracked almost half of it is gone
    RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
    I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
    Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex muffler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
    Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
    my $300 beater
    R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well, I went the junk yard and found a good EGR and put it on The Turbo. The idle seems better and much lower. It hasn't spiked to 2k while in park. I also didn't have that "lurching forward" feeling while sitting at a light holding the brake down.

I drove it a few minutes ago, and it seemed to run ok. I drove to the neighborhood TucanSam lives in, and caught a glimpse of his turbo coupe, although due to darkness and rain, didn't see much more than that.

Tomorrow will be the test as I drive 15 miles to work. If it doesn't die, I'm golden!
    -DMC24guy

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

well just so you know, that "lurching forward"...thats because your car is idling too high also. when youre in drive, its still revving up, trying to spin the turbine member of your torque converter. the fluid allows some slippage, but it was probably almost at stall speed, so a lot of force was being applied to try and move the car forward. if you left it like that for long enough the heat from the slipping fluid may have overheated and damaged your tranny badly. same with engaging drive with the high idle. that will put a lot of stress on bands/clutches.

good job, glad to hear thats fixed. as i said that could have become much more of a problem than just a high idle, over time of course. that likely wouldnt happen in ONE DAY or a couple hours or something, but thats no reason to leave it alone.

im prayin' for ya, it would suck real bad if suddenly all kinds of problems cropped up with this thing. i almost think you ought to find a time where you wont need the car awhile and tear down the engine (leave it in the car though) and inspect things like EGR, thermactor system, PCV that kind of stuff. valvetrain, compression check, the works. just a thought, i keep seeing these new posts by you "OMG new problem/discovery" and i lose confidence in your car every time.

all im saying is that if i had modified the EGR system like that i would have explained it in DETAIL to the prospective buyer, perhaps directed them right to a source of a new EGR valve and knocked the price down a little. as you found out, an easy fix! BUT knowing about it in advance makes the difference right there. and you cant pull apart the intake whilst "tire-kicking" so how the hell can you know if they dont tell you... *sigh* no ones honest anymore....

enjoy your TC!

oh and just FYI that hole that was "clear but dirty" thats FINE. thats called carbon dust deposit. its probably 1/32nd inch or less thick. like the inside of your tailpipe. theres exhaust flowing through it, so the tiny carbon particles WILL stick to the walls ALWAYS. no way around that. but nobodys lookin at that so its no hit to the looks of your car, lol
    1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
    2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
    Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
    1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
    1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane