Skip to main content
Topic: Front Accessory Drive Modifications (Read 239 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Front Accessory Drive Modifications

Reply #15
So ... question for those that have done the 3G upgrade ... hoping you can help me.  I unplugged the two connectors from the stock alternator and then per the instructions, out of these two connectors, I cut off the black rectangular one.  I was going to clean up the wiring a little and upon removing some wire loom and electrical tape, I found that the two black/orange wires from this connector go back into a single black/orange wire.  The instructions want you to put ring terminals on each of these wires and then connect them to the back of the alternator.  I have enough length in the harness, so my question is ... can I just cut this wire before it splits into two and then put a single ring terminal to the back of the alternator?  I don't see how this would hurt anything, but figured I would ask in the event anyone has experience with this or has wired their 3G up the same way.

Reply #16
When I did my 3g I did wire mine up this way, but along with another 6 gauge charge cable and a 175 amp factory style fuse.

You do not only want to use that single 10 gauge wire as the charge wire for a 3g alt. It will easily melt the wire or possibly burn up the car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #17
When I did my 3g I did wire mine up this way, but along with another 6 gauge charge cable and a 175 amp factory style fuse.

You do not only want to use that single 10 gauge wire as the charge wire for a 3g alt. It will easily melt the wire or possibly burn up the car.

Yeah, I have the stand alone 4 ga fused power wire ... just looking to see if anyone else took these two black/orange wires down to one.  I ended up cutting before the "Y" to take it down to a single wire but I haven't finished the wiring up just yet.

Reply #18
That looks great! 
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Ranger roller cam conversion,
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'16 F150 XLT 5.0
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #19
So ... question for those that have done the 3G upgrade ... hoping you can help me.  I unplugged the two connectors from the stock alternator and then per the instructions, out of these two connectors, I cut off the black rectangular one.  I was going to clean up the wiring a little and upon removing some wire loom and electrical tape, I found that the two black/orange wires from this connector go back into a single black/orange wire.  The instructions want you to put ring terminals on each of these wires and then connect them to the back of the alternator.  I have enough length in the harness, so my question is ... can I just cut this wire before it splits into two and then put a single ring terminal to the back of the alternator?  I don't see how this would hurt anything, but figured I would ask in the event anyone has experience with this or has wired their 3G up the same way.

I don't see why you can't cut the two wires off where they merge into one and just put a ring terminal on that one wire. I did that when I swapped to a 3G without issue.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #20

I don't see why you can't cut the two wires off where they merge into one and just put a ring terminal on that one wire. I did that when I swapped to a 3G without issue.

Thanks.  That's what I ended up doing ... just wanted to see if anyone else had done the same without issue.  I don't see how it could cause an issue, but I get a little nervous when dealing with the charging system and making modifications.  I still haven't finished the wiring, hoping to wrap that up this weekend and start her back up.