Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions on a new cam..... (Read 6652 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Opinions on a new cam.....

Reply #15
I'm going to install the Track Heat intake and shelve the Trick Flow R and see how it works out. Updates as they happen.

How close is the R lower to the Track Heat lower? You may be able to just swap the uppers. I haven't looked too closely at TF intakes.

If you want a solid better than the GT40 intake but not as crazy as the Trick Flow R/Edelbrock Performer RPM II, Holley Systemax, and you don't already have a Track Heat intake try finding an Edelbrock Performer RPM I intake. It's basically a Performer intake with shorter runners and a slightly larger plenum. I run one and love it. Basically the same amount of low end torque as the GT40 I used to run but the engine now pulls like a freight train at high RPM. There is a noticeable difference above 3000 RPM between the two intakes. Being that the car has 3.73 gears and a 2800 stall converter I never even noticed the claimed "loss of torque at 2000 rpm" everyone on the Corral complains about.

88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Trackheat has smaller runners than the R for both the upper and lower, not compatible between the two. 

They both have the rectangular port layout that is somewhat staggered where the upper meets the lower, so they look similar at a glance, but thats where the similarity ends as the port dimensions and intended application is different between them. The R upper also has a 75mm throttle body opening or an optional 90mm.

I like the Edelbrock intakes as well, I've used all of the Performer/RPM versions and the Vic 5.8 EFI, no complaints on any.

My only complaint when using the R was that the bottom of the upper interfered with aftermarket fuel rails unless a space was used. This presents a problem with hood clearance if used on a 351 swapped Bird.  On a fox Mustang, even a 3" cowl hood will rub. We ended up clearancing/welding the bottom of the upper to be able to use the larger fuel rails (supercharged Windsor, so stock fuel rails inadequate) without the spacer between upper and lower.

Reply #17
I have a Track Heat ready to go. I'm waiting on the new lifters to get here. I'll be reporting the results.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #18
You never said but did the R make your car feel sluggish vs. the GT40?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
The R makes it feel a bit sluggish down low. once you get way up in the rpms, pull hard, it's made for more of a racing application I believe. The Track Heat rpm range starts 1000 rpms lower. Much better than the R.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
"Vinnie's changing intakes" After all these years nothing changes! lol
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #21
LOL. I am.....but this is the last time I'm swapping intakes. Keeping my current cam.

Reply #22
Sure Vinnie, Sure it's the last time you'll swap and intake manifold.

Reply #23
No.....really.......I'm 100% fairly sure of it.

Reply #24
Get the swap done yet?

Reply #25
Update, sold the N41 and kept the Ed Curtis cam. I swapped the Trick Flow R intake for a Track Heat, that made a huge difference in low end power. I'm happy with that. I do need to pull the upper intake this weekend and adjust the rockers, but that's no big deal.

Now to find someone who needs to buy a Trick Flow R intake.

Reply #26
I was gonna say post it up for sale on the Corral and someone will buy it but it looks like you have that covered.  Hopefully you have a sale pending.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #27
Parts are sold. Now to adjust the rockers and be done for a while.

Well, almost done, I have a solid steering shaft I want to install when the time allows and a replacement rear wheel as I rubbed mine on a curb a month ago. The wheel is waiting in the garage to be installed.

Reply #28
Better get that wheel on that car...burnouts are always better without road rash!

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #29
I have a solid steering shaft I want to install when the time allows

Let us know how that goes/feels. I'd like to install one and some point and I'd like feedback on how much steering feel improves.