Skip to main content
Topic: 8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7 (Read 2086 times) previous topic - next topic

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #15
So then I should look into SN95 5 lug axles and rotors that will work with the turbo coupe housing? I might have to do custom axles because it is a 31 spline carrier. Then swap the fronts to the 94-95 SN95 spindles with the twin piston calipers from a later SN95?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #16
I thought it was pretty well covered already in the thread so far, but anyways.

The 8.8 housing in the TC and the 94-98 SN95 is the same. The axle length is also the same. To go with SN95 axles, you have a few options. One option is to convert completely to SN95 brakes, using the mounting brackets on the ends of the axle housing, the caliper brackets, calipers and rotors which would be my choice. Another option is to use SN95 axles, and have your rotors drilled to the lug pattern.

For the 31 spline, you will have to get a set of aftermarket SN95 axles. You may luck out and find some on forums cheaply. I think Rock Auto actually had a few inexpensive options also.

Certainly grab the 94-95 SN95 spindles. The 99-04 front calipers require a small amount of grinding, but it all goes together fairly easily.
It's Gumby's fault.

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #17
Well I have 95 front spindles and 99+ calipers. I just need to remember what year Mustang I got all the rear brakes and axles from. I know I bought a complete axle and got the parts from it. I may also look for a 8.8" carrier with 28 spline spiders.

So my park brakes should work with the sn95 stuff then?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #18
http://www.sn95source.com/topic/892-everything-you-need-to-know-sra-irs-75-or-88/

I found this and it was helpful. So even if I got the rear calipers from a 99-04 Stang, I will just need the 94-98 rear Caliper bracket.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #19
Quote from: 86caprirs;467078
Well I have 95 front spindles and 99+ calipers. I just need to remember what year Mustang I got all the rear brakes and axles from. I know I bought a complete axle and got the parts from it. I may also look for a 8.8" carrier with 28 spline spiders.

So my park brakes should work with the sn95 stuff then?


The rear brakes are all the same from 94-04, as long as they are from a stick axle. The important thing to know is the year of the axles. I checked my 95 axles for a part number, but I couldn't tell if there was a number on them or not. They have a bunch of dirt caked on.

As far as your park brake goes, I don't have much information. I've done all of my 5-lug work on Turbo Coupes, which already have disk brakes. I'm pretty sure CoolCats.net would have some helpful information, or a search on the forum.

Quote from: 86caprirs;467079
http://www.sn95source.com/topic/892-everything-you-need-to-know-sra-irs-75-or-88/

I found this and it was helpful. So even if I got the rear calipers from a 99-04 Stang, I will just need the 94-98 rear Caliper bracket.


The information in this is very hard to decipher. LMR has a rear axle guide that is a bit more useful, and should help you identify your axles.

https://lmr.com/products/mustang-axle-guide

Also, the caliper brackets are the same between 94-04.

These brackets came off of a 2001 GT:



And this shows the 94 part number:



So as long as you have the 94-98 axles, you can use whatever years SN95 brakes you have.
It's Gumby's fault.

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #20
86Caprirs,
Does your Bird currently have a TC rear in it and do the TC parking brakes work? Once you answer this I can guide you through what you need to do.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle


93 331 Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #21
Parking brakes work and I have a TC rear end in the car. I was hoping to just swap 5 lug axles and buy 5 lug turbocoupe rotors that are modified to work with the axles. I remember seeing a company that did that but forget who it was.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #22
Quote from: Tbird232ci;467119
The rear brakes are all the same from 94-04, as long as they are from a stick axle. The important thing to know is the year of the axles. I checked my 95 axles for a part number, but I couldn't tell if there was a number on them or not. They have a bunch of dirt caked on.

As far as your park brake goes, I don't have much information. I've done all of my 5-lug work on Turbo Coupes, which already have disk brakes. I'm pretty sure CoolCats.net would have some helpful information, or a search on the forum.



The information in this is very hard to decipher. LMR has a rear axle guide that is a bit more useful, and should help you identify your axles.

https://lmr.com/products/mustang-axle-guide

Also, the caliper brackets are the same between 94-04.

These brackets came off of a 2001 GT:



And this shows the 94 part number:



So as long as you have the 94-98 axles, you can use whatever years SN95 brakes you have.



I guess you are right because in 99-04 the rear end housing was a tat wider then 94-98 and the 99-04 axles were also lengthened to match the 99-04 housing.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #23
Quote from: 86caprirs;467192
Parking brakes work and I have a TC rear end in the car. I was hoping to just swap 5 lug axles and buy 5 lug turbocoupe rotors that are modified to work with the axles. I remember seeing a company that did that but forget who it was.

If you want to retain the TC rear brake components, you can use rear rotors from a 1991-1992 Mark VII.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #24
Quote from: 86caprirs;467192
Parking brakes work and I have a TC rear end in the car. I was hoping to just swap 5 lug axles and buy 5 lug turbocoupe rotors that are modified to work with the axles. I remember seeing a company that did that but forget who it was.


If you used the TC style parking brake cable, they will work with the SN95 calipers.

You could use 94-98 SN95 axles, and have your TC rotors drilled to match the 5-lug pattern.

I would personally use the SN95 brakes as they're easier to obtain from part stores, junk yards, etc. I hate the idea of wanting to take a somewhat long trip, have a caliper lock up, and have no parts available. It's a little more expensive up front, but it will make life easier later on.

Quote from: BCA;467194
If you want to retain the TC rear brake components, you can use rear rotors from a 1991-1992 Mark VII.


You have to use the 91-92 Mark VII axles, rotors, and the brackets that mount to the ends of the axles. That's what I did before.
It's Gumby's fault.

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #25
Quote from: Tbird232ci;467198
You have to use the 91-92 Mark VII axles, rotors, and the brackets that mount to the ends of the axles. That's what I did before.


OK, didn't know that. I started down that route, but then switched to the SN95 route before I got that far.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #26
Rear brake evolution on my ‘83 5.0 car:
- Swapped in an 8.8 from an ‘88 Mustang GT
- Upgraded the rear brakes to dics via SSBC kit - utilized TC rear e-brake cables
- Switched to Ranger axles and redrilled the rear rotors for a five lug swap
- Upgraded the whole car to SN95 Cobra brakes - I used stock Fox length axles and brackets from North Race Cars to keep the stock Fox Mustang axle widths as I already had rims that worked with this axle width under the car. Again the stock TC e-brake cables worked great.  At this time I also switched to the SN95 rear calipers. This was to balance the brakes on the car. The TC rear calipers have a larger diameter piston and with the stock SN95 single piston or twin piston calipers it was a mismatch. Talked with Jack Hidley at Maximum Motorsports about this and he is the one who explained the math to me.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle


93 331 Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #27
Thanks for your help guys. Here is what I have in my parts collection.

94 SN spindles
94 front rotor
99 PBR dual piston front calipr (yes I know some grinding needs to be done)
99 rear calipers, all brackets and rotors
94 rear axles

I just need to figure out how to adapt the front brake hoses to the Thunderbird hard lines and rear caliper flex hoses to the turbo coupe hard lines.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. No engine, no trans, turbocoupe disk diff with 3:27 gears, 31 spline axles and Cobra clutch packs, Turbocoupe front brakes.

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #28
Quote from: 86caprirs;467238
Thanks for your help guys. Here is what I have in my parts collection.

94 SN spindles
94 front rotor
99 PBR dual piston front calipr (yes I know some grinding needs to be done)
99 rear calipers, all brackets and rotors
94 rear axles

I just need to figure out how to adapt the front brake hoses to the Thunderbird hard lines and rear caliper flex hoses to the turbo coupe hard lines.

The rear TC lines *should* work with your SN95 calipers. I was doing a search, and stumbled across a member who did the swap and retained the TC lines.

I haven't figured out the front lines yet, as I think the TC and Sport use different hard line fittings in the front. You may actually have luck trying to see if your current lines will work with the SN95 calipers.

*edit to add more info*

Based on some photos and research I've done, the rear soft lines from a 94-95 SN95 should work. I haven't had them in my hands to actually confirm. I'm on the fence between ordering some inexpensive lines to try, or just taking the leap of faith and ordering stainless lines.

Up front, the TC has two different sized brake line fittings. One size is 3/8 and the other is 7/16. I'm fairly sure that the Sport has 3/8 on both sides. There are adapters that will allow you to adapt the one line that is different. I haven't done much more research on the matter since I've been primarily messing with TC's over the years.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Brake-fitting-adapter-1994-04-Mustang-brakes-on-FOX-P730.aspx

I'm fairly sure that is the adapter fitting you would need, if my information is correct.
It's Gumby's fault.

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

Reply #29
You can get that adaptor at any parts store. I picked mine up from Oreilly. It's been on three different cars now...even works with the '99-04 hoses that are required with the dual piston calipers. (which stop the car fucking awesome, compared even to the SN95 single piston jobs..)
'84 and '87 Mustangs
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Lexus
'06 Explorer EB 4.6