Last post by Tbird232ci -
It's time for update part two.
I have been keeping this project fairly quiet. I have a few people who I didn't really want knowing what I'm doing. The good...and bad thing about this forum is that there isn't much traffic.
This is my first project that I designed from start to finish, and my first real attempt at any real 3D modelling. I designed these around Autometer gauges since I had two sitting around. I will do a redesign when I get the VDO gauges for my car.
As of right now, they are made of PLA, which really isn't suitable for automotive applications. I did make a dead pedal for Katys Fiesta and it's holding up fairly well. I just don't trust it to be too durable in the summer heat. Hopefully I can figure out PETG and do more testing.
Once I am confident in my design and durability, I will likely start a website and do a little online store.
I do ask of those 4 of you that do frequent the forum to keep these off of Facebook for the time being. I would appreciate it.
Last post by Tbird232ci -
Obviously, I've been terrible with updates. I spent a bunch of time driving and beating the hell out of it.
The brakes are awful. Around the town, they aren't bad. I had gotten a little too comfortable on the highway, and wasn't paying too much attention. Traffic was stopped in front of me. I've never used so much brake pressure while heel-toe downshifting. I got it stopped, but I had a chunk of blue velour in my cornhole after that. I have something in the works for brakes.
I did manage to complete one mod. Probably one of my favorite mods to do to any car.
I was browsing eBay, and found that Steeda sells blemished shifters. It was cheaper than the Summit branded shifter, which Steeda makes. Well worth every penny.
I had a plan. I ordered an alternator, a starter, a power steering pump pulley, belts and a bunch of misc stuff. The plan was to do the 92-94 Ranger alternator, PMGR starter, swap on a larger diameter pulley, do a fuel pump and a ton of little stuff. I pulled the car in the garage and started the alternator swap. I found that the suggested alternator, which was a 5.0 Explorer alternator, doesn't remotely fit the bracket. At this point, I started yanking more apart.
Fun story. When I was driving the car frequently, I noticed that the car would build boost fast, but not pull as hard as normal. I also noticed that it didn't really run smooth. I didn't put much thought into it since I had been planning on doing an assload of work. I figured, if it was a vacuum leak, weak fuel pump, or anything like that, it was going to be addressed over the winter. For fun, I pulled the timing belt cover off. The belt had an insane amount of slop. I could slide the belt off of the cam gears by hand. I could spin the timing belt tensioner by hand, with very little resistance. It's the first time I've seen one that bad.
With everything I took off, I found more that the car needs and more that I want to do while I'm at this point. A few things added to the list
-PCV delete. Delete the oil separators, have large fittings welded to the valve cover for the crankcase breather and catch can. -Radiator, fan, shroud and coolant reservoir. -Upgraded water pump. -Oil cooler delete. -Ranger roller regrind, valve springs, new HLA's. -Adjustable cam gear, lightweight auxiliary shaft gear and crank gear. Round tooth. -Remove coolant from the lower intake and relocate the ECT sensor. -Cut the power steering pump bypass valve spring.
There is plenty more that I intend on getting to. That's a large chunk of what I need to get done before Carlisle.
That is the current state of the under hood. It will get more removed before long.
I know most people on this forum are on Facebook, or follow me on Instagram, but here is a parting shot I just whored across a few groups.
Last post by Clayton -
Got the fenders back on today and all the wiring tidy'd muddled through some tuning parameters on the fitech because I couldn't get it to idle down right. I think it's just running through the self learn parts still cause it runs a little better each time I walk away from it. Also put the mach 1 chin spoiler on as well. And I got mine from lmr, and the fasteners they sent it with SUCK. Definitely going to upgrade those before the season hits.