Time has been limited but I was able to get a little time on Sat to tend to this.
I need to sort out 2 hanger locations for the muffler. I don't *need* all of them, but I need the exhaust to be held pretty securely.
Laying under the car and looking up at the floor pan, I found the perfect spot for a front mount location. Originally there was a small bracket of some sort, but that had been removed long ago. There is a small backing bracket under the carpet for it, which I made use of.
Then I was able to tack together the muffler side of things.
I still need to do the rear mount, and that I'll have to add some sort of mounting bracket. However, with the muffler location locked, I was able to finally piece together the rest of the exhaust.
Yup, that's a full 3" pipe around all of that mess. Looks like I'll just need a small dimple/squeeze to get it to clear the frame rail, and maybe a couple more small ones to clear a couple things. All worth it for not having to do a turn-down on the car. Just need to get the rear two hangers in place, and we're all set to weld/dimple/coat.
Earlier in the week I was able to spend some time messing with the WBO2 wiring. Have the plan sorted, just need to get it all done.
Working on a house project now, but may get a few moments tonight after the kids are in bed.
OK, well I had a jury duty summons today. The case we were there for got cancelled, so that meant...heading home for the rest of the day!
Had to tend to a couple things, but then I took a couple hours to get into the garage for a bit.
First I raised the car up a bit more, to make the exhaust and other work a bit more bearable.
After that, I pulled the mocked-up tail pipe, and then got the exhaust out of the car for rework.
I'd picked up a couple more 3" V-bands, that actually nested into each other, so I was going to use them on the muffler.
A little clean-up on the inlet side
And then a little adjustment and clean-up on the outlet side (To keep things in the same spot back there)
I'm not going to pull the downpipe to install the WB O2 sensor bung until I pull everything out to go get coated. Just saving a bit of rework.
I should have some time this weekend to get the exhaust and muffler back under the car and start to get the muffler hanger sorted out. From there we start to piece together the tailpipe again and get it tacked together for final fitment.
It may just have been the way you worded it, but around 9:30 you talk about the fox chassis and list all the models that used it, including the Cougar, but then state the T-bird is unique because the wheelbase was stretched. Made it seem like the Cougar was a 'standard Mustang' type and not the T-birds brother.
The "Fox Chassis" is the general layout. It started in '78 with the Fairmont/Zephyr. Same Front/rear suspension config and chassis layout. Different wheelbases. (Yes, control arms, etc are different lengths, depending on model)
There were at least 4-5 different wheelbases: (I don't have the #'s off the top of my head) - 79-93 Mustangs/79-86 Capris - Fairmonts/Zeyphrs/non-XR-7 80-82 Cougars/80-82 Granadas/83-86 LTD/Marquis - 83-88 TBirds/Cougars - 80-82 Thunderbirds and Cougar XR-7s - Lincoln Mk7s
Wishing I'd planned ahead better on my power distribution and accounted better for it. To keep things simple, I'm probably just going to use the (5A) in-line fuse holder, even though I'd rather work something into the new set-up. It'll all be hidden under the dash, anyway. If I ever pull everything out and redo things, I'll dig in deeper.
Need to figure out where to mount the sensor status LED. I mounted it in the dash console on my 240 install...and damn it was bright. I want to be able to see it, but not have it blind me at night.
Also decided to swap the older stereo for a not-as-old-stereo while I was in there.
Nothing wrong with the 9801, but I wanted to USB capability and a front-mounted AUX input (Instead of the cable from the back).