Skip to main content
Topic: Finally found a 85 T-bird (Read 3403 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally found a 85 T-bird

I've been looking for a while and I finally found a 85 T-bird close to me for a good price. I picked this jem up for $350 today. 5.0 CFI, AOD, 130k miles, it will need some body work and a headliner, but nothing I can't get from Pull A Part for pretty cheap. I'm going to swap out the CFI for SEFI from a Mustang, so if anyone knows which ECU harness to use I'd like to know. Anyways, here's the pics:

Reply #1
The price was not 2 bad hope to see it be takencare of and fixed up soon goodluck man.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #2
Is the fender and header panel the only damage?  If so then that's sweet. 

Take care of her.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #3
Looked like it was not long before it would have wound up crushed.

Seems like a good base for a start.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Drewstang ,:cool:  another 4 eyed  :birdsmily: saved from extinction  and nice price also. lol  :D

Reply #5
The engine/interior don't look too bad at all.

Nice find!

Reply #6
hows the underneath?  get a fender and header panel and paint her up, looks like a decent starting point anyways.

Reply #7
drewstang,
We don't live too far away from each other.  I'm in Madisonville, zip 42431.  I've got a nice condition header panel, bumper cover, and both front fenders from an '86 XR7 if you're interested.  I know the header's not technically a perfect match to your Bird, but it would be unique (and it's set up for the foglights that the TC's and XR7's came with).  It's dark red with charcoal gray lower two-tone.  I could use the $$ and it's not doing me any good right now.  Let me know if you'd be interested and we can talk $$.  Thanks.

And once again, somebody ELSE found a halfway nice car for a bargain price, and I can still find nothing!  Boo!

Fordman3

Reply #8
Very nice for the price, and one more Four Eye that lives. You should put the XR7 front end on it. There was a car on here, Demented2.3T's TC had a Cougar front end, and it looked really nice.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #9
Quote from: fordman3;186817
drewstang,
We don't live too far away from each other.  I'm in Madisonville, zip 42431.  I've got a nice condition header panel, bumper cover, and both front fenders from an '86 XR7 if you're interested.  I know the header's not technically a perfect match to your Bird, but it would be unique (and it's set up for the foglights that the TC's and XR7's came with).  It's dark red with charcoal gray lower two-tone.  I could use the $$ and it's not doing me any good right now.  Let me know if you'd be interested and we can talk $$.  Thanks.

And once again, somebody ELSE found a halfway nice car for a bargain price, and I can still find nothing!  Boo!

Fordman3

if he doesn't want the bumper cover PM me. i think my mom is goin out your way in the next month and i can't find one around here anymore.

It looks like a great start as long as the underbody is good
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #10
Nice to see another 85 saved, I am kind of partial to the 85's.

Good luck, and cant wait to see it returned to glory.
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #11
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The underside looks pretty good. Theres some scaly rust in a couple spots, but nothing terminal. I went to the local Pull A Part and found 3 perfect complete front ends and one full digital cluster. I'm going back tomorrow for the cluster, header panel and bezel, and maybe a fender.

The quarters have rust just behind the wheels, but it has not made it all the way through the metal. I'm pretty sure I can fix it without cutting and welding. The bottom of the driver's door is splitting with rust, but again Pull A Part has a perfect door with a good handle.

Fordman3- I really like the looks of the T-bird front end over the Cougar, but thanks for the offer.

The next step will be to pull of the CFI, drop in a H.O. Mustang engine, locate a 8.8 rear end, and swap in 5 lugs and SN-95 Mustang brakes. Then, a set of Bullitts for crusing. I'm also going to switch to floor shift and get rid of the column shifter. I've built a bunch of Mustangs and I think I'm going to enjoy working on this car and saving it from the crusher. I've got alot of research to do and alot of parts to ad to my Christmas list.

Reply #12
I finally got some time to bring her home today. The aftermarket oil gauge the previous owner installed came back and bit me in the ass. He ran the nylon tube inbetween the exhaust manifold and steering shaft and wrapped it around the shaft once. It melted about 3 miles into the 20 mile drive, and started dumping oil like crazy. 6 miles from home, I was out of oil and shut it off and called a towtruck. But she's home now:

Reply #13
I got some work done on her two weeks ago. I found a nearly perfect header panel and bumper at Pull A Part. I also grabbed the fender off the car and a full digital cluster from a V8 Elan. Here's some pics of the body damage repair.