Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Speaker Grille Easy Removal (Read 9567 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Speaker Grille Easy Removal

The title isn't completely accurate, but will work until a better title comes along! [Big Grin]

I despise the fact that to remove the dash speaker grilles that you take a chance on cracking your dash. So I wanted to come up with something better/different.

I removed the drivers side grille by taking out the cluster and squeezing the metal clips from the bottom side. I removed the passenger side by taking a thin strip of metal (2"x 8" x 1/8") and placing it below the grille and prying on it to help spread out the pressure. This made me nervous but it worked.

Next I gently removed the metal clips from the grille by carefully prying them off with a screwdriver.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/T-BirdX3/photobucket-8223-1325808539560.jpg

I placed the clips in storage in case I decide to go back to using them for some strange reason.

I purchased DAP Bluestik from Lowes ($2)
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/070798/070798012011xl.jpg

BlueStik is a reusable adhesive putty, it is a lot like working with chewing gum. You pinch off some of the putty, ball it up, and place onto a clean surface.

If you look at your dash you can see where the grille has created imprints on your dash.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/T-BirdX3/photobucket-5491-1325808572853.jpg

These imprints are where I chose to place the putty, knowing that the grille and dash would touch there.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/T-BirdX3/photobucket-7229-1325808661708.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/T-BirdX3/photobucket-2783-1325808620900.jpg

Just like with any adhesive you want to make sure that the area is clean and dust/dirt free. The putty may not be the prettiest but neither is a busted dash, and this isn't viewable when the grilles are in place.

Then you place your grilles over the putty and gently press down.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/T-BirdX3/photobucket-4235-1325808594177.jpg

I was able to easily remove and replace the grille multiple times today without any complications. Because the putty is reusable it should remain pliable and therefore rattles should not be a concern.

I completed this today and took it for a spirited drive through the country and it seems to have worked fairly well. The grilles stayed in place and absolutely no rattles or shaking.

I can't speak for long term durability yet, but with there really being no pressure on the grilles i believe it will hold up well.
...and there was light!

Reply #2
careful, it only has a 120 deg rating.... could ooze in the summer sun
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
Quote from: EricCoolCats;377076
Aw man...you took all the fun out of it.

J/k...nice job. :)

lol The thought of cracking my crack free dash is not fun at all!

Quote from: daminc;377081
careful, it only has a 120 deg rating.... could ooze in the summer sun

Thanks! We will find out if this is an issue, this summer. I originally was going to use velcro but I stumbled across this stuff and thought I would give it a try.
...and there was light!

Reply #4
Interesting. My dash has always been cracked... so I never thought about it being a problem. I was always more concerned about breaking the speaker grilles lol.

Btw, how do you like those JL's you have in there? I'm definitely getting close to getting around to putting some new speakers in the dash...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
Quote from: sarjxxx;377097
Interesting. My dash has always been cracked... so I never thought about it being a problem. I was always more concerned about breaking the speaker grilles lol.

All of my other birds have cracked dashes so I never was really concerned about it. But I definitely remember each dash cracking even more anytime I removed the grilles for heater cores, speakers, etc. I had been wanting to replace the speakers for months but wasn't willing to take chance a on busting up my dash.

Quote from: sarjxxx;377097
Btw, how do you like those JL's you have in there? I'm definitely getting close to getting around to putting some new speakers in the dash...

They sound awesome, but I also installed some 6.5" speakers in the door at the same time. So I am sure that they play a huge role in the sound improvement. After the install I literally went for a ride for the sole purpose of cranking up the tunes!
...and there was light!

Reply #6
Vasoline on dashes, really does work. Rub it in lightly.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #7
Quote from: Kitz Kat;377343

That's what I use to clean/protect my dash, actually leaves a very nice shine that isn't greasy.
...and there was light!

Reply #8
Quote from: Kitz Kat;377343

Is that necessary for those replacement hard dash caps too?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #9
Just quick update:

Spent a little over a week at the beach. Which  meant my car set in the sun, in 105 degree weather, for hours at a time and this stuff is still holding up well. It didn't do any oozing/melting either, hope this helps!
...and there was light!

Reply #10
Nice when someone actually does an update.  Thank you.
Mike

Reply #11
Quote from: mcb82gt;394606
Nice when someone actually does an update.  Thank you.

I agree. You're welcome!
...and there was light!

Reply #12
my dash busted & cracked all to pieces im not sure what to do about it yet,going to post some picts of what i got soon

Reply #13
http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/dashtop.html

Should help.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com