Skip to main content
Topic: head rest removal (Read 6126 times) previous topic - next topic

head rest removal

Many people have been having problems removing their headrests.
The removal is simple....

I used an ordinary strip of sheet metal. took sand paper to remove the sharp edges, and inserted it in the front of the seat, along the headrest shaft..
It will stop when it hits the locking tab.... Then simply push down on the headrest and the strip of metal slightly at the same time. Once that goes down about an inch or so, hold on to the metal so it cant pull up when you pull up on the headrest. I should pull right out

insert metal strip.
This seat had a tab on the collar, so I had to insert the metal strip under it

pull headrest out
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

head rest removal

Reply #1
agree, that keeper is very difficult to overcome and you gotta watch your sheet metal thickness.

head rest removal

Reply #2
it is.... rounding the corners of the sheetmetal may help too
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

head rest removal

Reply #3
Might wear gloves, and be careful that you don't cut any fabric...sheetmetal is nasty. Laid my hand open last summer while I was stacking some sheet steel for roofing. SHOULD have had stitches..now I got a funky scar that I could've avoided, if only I'd taken an extra couple seconds to put on gloves.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

head rest removal

Reply #4
thats why I sanded all the sharp edges off the strip of metal.... I have it in my tool box, and use the same piece for headrests only
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

head rest removal

Reply #5
to be honest, the only think i could get to work was a hack saw blade,  even that was thick but i then was able to tap on the top to over come the keeper.
I took an old one and removed the cutting edge so it was flat.
theres no modifying the keeper either, its some pretty thick spring steel.

head rest removal

Reply #6
Never tried or needed to

But if I ever do I know how now lol

Cool trick