Skip to main content
Topic: 85 Cougar Sun Visor Help (Read 7320 times) previous topic - next topic

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Hey, I'm new to the forum and have tried browsing around to see if there is an answer to my question before posting, but didn't find it. Sorry if there is a post, just redirect me to the thread.

I am working on restoring the inside of our 85 Cougar and I wanted to reupholster the sun visor because the fabric is sagging and somewhat moldy to tell the truth. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with doing something like that and has any tips for me.

I have removed the vanity mirror and light portion and the seams of the two halves appear to be slightly melted together. If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate the help.

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #1
Are you dead set on restoring your current ones?

If not there are quite a few viable options for replacements from other FoMoCo vehicles that can be had from a salvage yard at a reasonable price.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #2
I'd prefer to restore the current ones because I can change the fabric and have them match the headliner, which I restored earlier. Also, any other visors at salvage yards would also have the same state of deterioration in the underlying foam layer.

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #3
I picked up a set from an '01 Explorer when I redid my interior.

$10

SPOTLESS.

Anyway, I'm having trouble trying to envision the 2 halves you speak of that are melted together.  Any way you could post up a pic or 2?  Might help.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #4
Agree with the Explorer visor option IF you're looking for something different or going custom.
I just had the upholstery shop redo a set for me, in oyster-colored suede. These visors have the Homelink buttons.

Colors match nicely:

Homelink buttons:

That being said, I've always let the upholstery shop redo all of my visors, stock or otherwise.
(And believe me, I've been through some visors in these cars throughout my lifetime. At least 5 pairs in the convertible alone.)
The reason I never tackle them myself is that the shop has much better adhesive than I can ever get. Once they've got them recovered, there is never any sagging, bunching up, or misalignment. No doubt I'd have all of those with any attempt to redo them myself. Just food for thought.

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #5
I don't know how to resize these photos yet... but they're attached. Sorry for the size. The first and second one show two different locations and they both appear to have some melting associated with the plastic. The third picture shows yet another side that does not have said melting.

XXX

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #6
I do wish to keep the visors stock because I'm not trying to customize, but just restore it back to near what it was. I'll definitely look into bringing it to an upholstery store after I try other options because 1. I just graduated and money is a bit tight since I've yet to been able to find a job (lack of experience in a bad economy sucks), 2. it's something for me to do to keep myself from going crazy, and 3. I really honestly have no idea where the nearest one is and how trustworthy they are.

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #8
Portland Metro, Oregon

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #9
I guess specifically Tigard, Oregon

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #11
Eric went all secret squirrel.  :hick:

He'll do right by you!

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #12
Eric, what shop do you use? I'm not that far from you.

On the Homelink, is it all self-contained? That's for a garage door remote, right?

85 Cougar Sun Visor Help

Reply #13
It's a shop in Youngstown. They don't have a website (although I'm trying to push them in that direction).

The Homelink is self-contained, yes. It will work 2 garage doors and one remote Homelink-equipped device, so if you plug in a lamp it will turn it on. There is also a voice memo recorder. I have the Homelink visor in the Mountaineer; it was not original to the vehicle but it's easy enough to modify.