Skip to main content
Topic: Seafoamed the TC (Read 5494 times) previous topic - next topic

Seafoamed the TC

Reply #45
Quote from: TOM Renzo;390769
I am going to say this with CONVICTION. Their is no engine that i know of that has an egr valve open at idle. As the matter of fact a lot of FORD OBD1 cars will also set an SES light if the EGR is disconnected. Ford as well as other car companies use an EGR position sensor. So disconnect it and the SES will come on before you could drive around the block. Check the service codes if you dont believe me. All EGR systems use either Timed vacuum or a solenoid to block full VACUUM at idle. You cant run EGR at IDLE.

x2. Engine will most likley die if EGR is open at idle.

Seafoamed the TC

Reply #46
Quote from: CBASS;390776
I disagree the egr is a plus. It dumps hot exhaust gas into the intake. And every intake I have taken off has black carbon soot in the intake where the egr attached. Plus over time the egr builds up with carbon and needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Yes and no. The hot exhaust is non-combustible (unless car is running extreamly rich). It dilutes the air/fuel mixture. With a diluted mixture, the combustion is less powerful, thus cooling the engine. I agree with the carbon build up remark. With the build up, EGR will fail to open and close properly and make the car run like . Not to mention, it carbons up everything else in the engine.

Seafoamed the TC

Reply #47
Those of you who feel the need to seafoam regularly may want to invest in a water injection system like Tom mentioned earlier. I don't know much about them, but I have heard nothing but good stuff. It would keep inside of engine super clean. No reduction in power. If I am not mistaken, the oxegen in the water will actually boost power. The cost of such system will pay for it's self in the long run because water is much cheaper than seafoam.

Seafoamed the TC

Reply #48
The problem in my Cadillac is the EGR tubes in the intake plugging with carbon, on 3 of my Caddies I had to drill them open because the carbon was packed in so tight.  Most of the people that drive those cars baby the engines and never see 2000rpm.  After I Seafoam them good, with occasional WOT runs they never seem to carbon up much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Seafoamed the TC

Reply #49
Quote from: TOM Renzo;390769
I am going to say this with CONVICTION. Their is no engine that i know of that has an egr valve open at idle. As the matter of fact a lot of FORD OBD1 cars will also set an SES light if the EGR is disconnected. Ford as well as other car companies use an EGR position sensor. So disconnect it and the SES will come on before you could drive around the block. Check the service codes if you dont believe me. All EGR systems use either Timed vacuum or a solenoid to block full VACUUM at idle. You cant run EGR at IDLE.

I have to agree with Tom 100% on this. EGR is a misunderstood system that really helps with mid-throttle detonation on vehicles timed for having them. The modern Chevy  computer controlled PCM EGR system is really good in my experience.

Seafoamed the TC

Reply #50
The EGR system is one of the most miss understood system in an engine. It accomplishes many pluses for an engine and keeps detonation in check very efficiently. I do know that tubes plug up that is true. The EGR system is a system that recycles INERT gases back in to the mixture that allows the engineers to control NOX and increase some of the paramaters on the ECM for better mileage and performance. Example a disconnected EGR on lets say a heavy ford with a 302 can ping on 87. But with EGR it is a quiet as a MOUSE.  Thanks for listening
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Seafoamed the TC

Reply #51
EGR valves can be good or bad. If you have an EGR problem you are in real trouble. Also, EGR valves have a way of making engine problems worse.