Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Pump Change (Read 2641 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel Pump Change

Well things are not looking promising for changing the fuel pump tomorrow.  I crawled under the car to apply a liberal dose of PB Blaster to make things a little easier, and one of the bolts holding the tank up looks like a big blob of .  I hope like hell that’s just some crud built up on it.

Has anyone ever had to take one of those bolts off with a cold chisel or something similar?  Can the bolt be drilled out if I can’t get a hold of it with anything?

How about a cheap socket JB welded to the SOB?

I may turn out to be nothing, but any advice would be appreciated just in case.

Re: Fuel Pump Change

Reply #1
i soaked mine in pb blaster for a couple days before, then when you start. DONT TRY TO FORCE IT. do it a little at a time, and go back and forth... work the lube into the threads

Reply #2
When the strap bolts were stuck I have air chiseled the heads off, and then drilled.
I know guys who will grind the heads off the bolts, but watch out with gas being flamable and all. (I would not recomend that.)

Reply #3
Thanks guys.

I guess I'll start with the Manson method...

but be prepared to move to the mercougar50 method if I need to.

Reply #4
Another question for those more experienced than me (that means just about everyone on this board).

I thought the fuel filler hose was a …well …a hose.  I guess it’s actually metal.  So my question is when I’m dropping the tank do I disconnect it at the tank (lock ring type connection) or up near the gas cap ( four bolts holding it to the fender)?

Thanks again, and the bolt thing isn’t looking good BTW.

Reply #5
From my experiences with gas tanks, the fuel filler usually goes in to the tank as a compresion fitting type deal, You should be able to drop it down and it'll just slide/pop out. But to be safe i would just let it down with a jack slowly and if it doesn't look like it's gonna come free then jack it back up and start unbolting at the fuel filler door.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #6
Thanks nirvanagod.  I'm working on it and it looks like you are right.  Looks like the pipe just slides into the sleeve on the tank.

I got one bolt out but the other one is kicking my ass.  I'm just spraying, taking a break, struggle, repeat as necessary.

Reply #7
Freaking lock ring is STUCK.

I'll keep working on it but it's not budging.  I think I'm screwed.

Is that top part that holds the fuel pump a replaceable item?

Reply #8
Got it finally.

It was tougher than I expected.  If anyone is searching this thread later I think the key is to be patient and use LOTS of PB Blaster.

I do have one observation.  The new pump was a little small, but I snugged it up pretty easily.  The major difference that I am concerned about is the way the sock or filter lays.  The old one had about a 90-degree connection that allowed it to lay flat near the bottom of the tank.  The new one attaches straight on and lays more on its side a little further from the bottom of the tank.  Other than possibly running out of gas a little higher up the gas gauge does anyone see any other potential problems?

Reply #9
When I replaced my fuel pump it was quite a bit different (smaller) too.  However I've had zero problems.  Check your sneding unit while you have it out and make sure all the wire connections are good and clean.