Skip to main content
Topic: Cobra Jet Loosing it's Grunt (Read 9776 times) previous topic - next topic

Cobra Jet Loosing it's Grunt

Reply #30
Quote from: thunderjet302;464250
You need to drive your Torino more, since you live in a "warm" climate. I put at least 1k miles a year on my Thunderbird. I should drive it more but there's that pesky weather condition that makes 5 or so months out of the year not conducive to driving... 
The 70-71's have always been my favorite. I'd love a 70-71 Torino in Grabber Green with a ram air 429.

The stockade pict was taken New Years eve down in  NC, probably 90 mi round trip, temp was a little below freezing... It got cold after that, a couple days were only in teens with lows of 8-10*... Then we got a foot of snow that hung around for over a week, mostly finished melting today when it hit into low 70s... Needless to say she hasn't seen the pavement this year, guessing I'll put another 200-300 miles before end of March...

Grabber Green is cool, but profile of those look too much like Chevelles to me... Note only '70 had the real Grabber green, '71 was somewhat metallic(something I learned fairly recently myself)...

Reply #31
maybe the difference between yours and mine is that your 69 is VERY nice, and my 68 is a beater, but i got mine in September, and have put over 5000 miles on it.

still, i totally envy the utter shaginess of yours.  it's sharp, man.

Reply #32
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;464257
The stockade pict was taken New Years eve down in  NC, probably 90 mi round trip, temp was a little below freezing... It got cold after that, a couple days were only in teens with lows of 8-10*... Then we got a foot of snow that hung around for over a week, mostly finished melting today when it hit into low 70s... Needless to say she hasn't seen the pavement this year, guessing I'll put another 200-300 miles before end of March...

Grabber Green is cool, but profile of those look too much like Chevelles to me... Note only '70 had the real Grabber green, '71 was somewhat metallic(something I learned fairly recently myself)...

Well at least you don't get salt with the cold/snow...

You have traction issues when it's that cold? When it's below about 50° I can spin the tires on my Thunderbird with anything over half throttle below about 45 mph or so. It's a little weird.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #33
Quote from: thunderjet302;464261
Well at least you don't get salt with the cold/snow...

You have traction issues when it's that cold? When it's below about 50° I can spin the tires on my Thunderbird with anything over half throttle below about 45 mph or so. It's a little weird.
With those old tires that are about like leather, it has traction issues at any temp... Clutch dump at 3000 rpms produces instant smoke... I'd buy another set but Goodyear discontinued the ST radials 20 years ago.. Going to have to buy a repop tire from Kelsey or pen 15er to look correct...

I drove the Bird on Nittos when it was around freezing, traction was similar to if they'd been greased... Spun so badly from a 25 mph punch, I thought the transmission was slipping...

Quote from: bootleggers deluxe;464260
maybe the difference between yours and mine is that your 69 is VERY nice, and my 68 is a beater, but i got mine in September, and have put over 5000 miles on it.

still, i totally envy the utter shaginess of yours.  it's sharp, man.

Thanks, 'ppreciate it... With a little paint you could have a nice one...

I'm about halfway considering a '69 Fairlane coupe with 302... Already has a rebuilt AOD trans and I have a fresh 347 settin' in the garage... The Cobra's were based on bottom rung Fairlane, only difference is blackout grille & addition of wheel well moldings...

Reply #34
i tried, i can no longer refrain...........

one day i will steal that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

going back in hiding now

Reply #35
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;464234
I just got out of the stockade for doing burnouts down in NC...

'em sumbitches are mean...

dang,, mised what was likely my only opportunity

Reply #36
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;464262
With those old tires that are about like leather, it has traction issues at any temp... Clutch dump at 3000 rpms produces instant smoke... I'd buy another set but Goodyear discontinued the ST radials 20 years ago.. Going to have to buy a repop tire from Kelsey or pen 15er to look correct...

I drove the Bird on Nittos when it was around freezing, traction was similar to if they'd been greased... Spun so badly from a 25 mph punch, I thought the transmission was slipping.

I've got 10 year old Firestone Firehawks on my Thunderbird. I had it out in early November this year when it was around 40° out. I was rolling along at 30mph and punched it to pass someone. The engine revved up but the car didn't move. At first I thought the trans was slipping but no the rear wheels were just spinning away. In the summer if I go half throttle from a stop the converter flashes to 2800rpm and the car just smokes the tires and goes sideways. Old tires make the thing seem like it's got a 500hp big block...

Back to your Torino though. Is it a bench seat car or console car? I know it's not a Super Cobra Jet but I can't remember if you've still got the stock gears in it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #37
Quote from: jcassity;464264

I put out a plea for bail money to some of the local guys and daughter...

They all laughed at me and daughter said it was too cold...

Reply #38
Quote from: jcassity;464264
I put out a plea for bail money to some of the local guys and daughter...

They all laughed at me and daughter said it was too cold...

Quote from: thunderjet302;464266
Back to your Torino though. Is it a bench seat car or console car? I know it's not a Super Cobra Jet but I can't remember if you've still got the stock gears in it.

Buckets & console, no not a great pict but only one I have at moment...

At moment it has a 3.00 T-L gear, I'm reinstalling 3.50 when it warms up a bit...

Reply #39
Quote from: jcassity;464263
i tried, i can no longer refrain...........

one day i will steal that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

going back in hiding now

What he said! I love the 69 Cobra!

Reply #40
Quote from: 50RACER;464271
What he said! I love the 69 Cobra!

we shall conspire

you come in from his north west,
 mason will approach from his west
I shall take em from his south west via route 460

we need someone to come in from the deleware side though..