Skip to main content
Topic: Cobra Jet Loosing it's Grunt (Read 9678 times) previous topic - next topic

Cobra Jet Loosing it's Grunt

Reply #15
Beautiful Fairlane. What type of fuel do you run in it?
I bought a demo 69 Roadrunner in 70 when I got out of the Army. Just like your car- 440, 4 speed, Dana 60, 410 gears, no power steering. Didn't need it to go in a straight line.
X
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #16
Nice!! I like... If not for the Road Runners my car would not exist...

I run everyday unleaded 93 octane... Heads have hardened valve seats and I installed the .039 compressed(I think that's figure) head gaskets in place of the .010 factory steel shim gaskets...

Reply #17
Figured you'd have to do something with the compression to be able to drive it today.

I still have a 72 440 and an Art Carr Torqueflite with a reverse pattern Cheeta valve body in my garage. Heads have been rebuilt with hardened seats, block only has 27,000 on it, no ridge. One of these days- when I get to my 3rd childhood?

I ran against a 429 Fairlane at Carlsbad Raceway. Beat him once out of 5. Also had a friend with a transplanted 427 in a Torino. Both nasty cars.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #18
They sold a nice '69 Roadrunner with 440 & 4-speed at Barrett-Jackson yesterday for $51K...

Reply #19
I've been to Barrett Jackson the last 3 years when they come to town. The cars are are amazing- along with the prices. To think I paid $3200 for my Roadrunner. Had 1200 miles on it when I bought it.

Seeing as you have a Comet thought you'd enjoy the attached picture. It was at Barrett Jackson last October.

XX

Reply #20
Here's a couple more from last October-

XX

Torino

Reply #21
Don't know what the Torino sold for but I bet it would be a handful on the street.

XX

Reply #22
Well I'm back at it(or was, finished now)... Except for upper ball joints that I did over three months ago, I've been neglect on replacing the lower control arms(too hot for me)... Finally happened this week, installed new LCA, strut rod bushings and stabilizer bar bushing... Also now have a working oil pressure gauge again... The old T fitting interfered with the P/S pump lines, so had to come up with a slightly different configuration...

Right control arm was already in place when I took photo...

Bushings in orig arms had long ago seen better days... The WHAM in RF on a moderate bump is gone now..

Reply #23
I can't stop looking at your header-to-shock-tower clearance. Or lack thereof.

I remember first seeing a big block 'Stang and realizing 10 lbs of shiznit in a 5 lb bag is nothing new.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #25
Last weekend we went on a cruise with the early Shelby guys...

AND I mean a REAL cruise...

Reply #26
Sounds spry alright!!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #27
Quote from: ZondaC12;463949
Sounds spry alright!!!

I just got out of the stockade for doing burnouts down in NC...

'em sumbitches are mean...

Reply #28
looking good man, I also had my 68 torino out today, but the tire spinning was due to the freezing rain.

BTW, I understand the convenience of having power steering/power brakes, but i think my car feels great with manual steer/ manual brakes.  I would have never guessed manual 4 wheel discs would bite so hard. Maybe the big block makes the car feel a lot more sluggish in turns, but im pondering taking on the autocross course with my manual gearbox!

Reply #29
Quote from: bootleggers deluxe;464237
looking good man, I also had my 68 torino out today, but the tire spinning was due to the freezing rain.

BTW, I understand the convenience of having power steering/power brakes, but i think my car feels great with manual steer/ manual brakes.  I would have never guessed manual 4 wheel discs would bite so hard. Maybe the big block makes the car feel a lot more sluggish in turns, but im pondering taking on the autocross course with my manual gearbox!

If your car originally had P/S it has the faster 16:1 ratio steering sector...

On the highway manual steering is fine, drove it to IA in '76 VIA downtown Chicago... Nowadays it mostly sees show/cruise duty... Original manual steering wasn't hard to steer, just pitifully slow, something like 5½ turns lock to lock... A P/S sector reduces that to 3½ turns but makes steering far stiffer(especially with approx 750 lbs of FE over the wheels)... I added the P/S sector in '91, drove it to Carlisle & New Castle PA, Hagerstown MD, Kingsport TN etc no issus, still it's far more pleasant with full P/S system...

For an example of how much more pleasantly it drives, from April '02(it's last state inspection) till I added P/S in March, it had acspoogeulated 1394 miles... That's a couple weeks short of 15 years... From April till end of Dec, it's logged 1473 miles...  All on the 26 year old Goodyears, new tires are in the plans for '18...