Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Fan Opinions (Read 1715 times) previous topic - next topic

Electric Fan Opinions

Considering swapping to an electric fan set up.  Just wanted to get opinions on what folks have used and how happy (or unhappy) you are with it.

Re: Electric Fan Opinions

Reply #1
Years ago, I put in a universal, 2-row aluminum radiator, with aluminum fan shroud and 16" fan from Jegs. I didn't have air conditioning and had a manual transmission, so it was an inexpensive option for me at the time. I set up my own relays and used the EEC to trigger the relays (88 Turbo Coupe) and it worked great for me.

Right now, the Mishimoto dual fan setup for the fox body Mustangs is really popular and getting great reviews. The biggest issue seems to be that you'll likely have to relocate/replace your coolant reservoir if it's one that mounts to the shroud. I can't remember what setup you have right now.

Also, if you haven't already, this would be a great time to convert to a 130a 3G alternator.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Years ago, I put in a universal, 2-row aluminum radiator, with aluminum fan shroud and 16" fan from Jegs. I didn't have air conditioning and had a manual transmission, so it was an inexpensive option for me at the time. I set up my own relays and used the EEC to trigger the relays (88 Turbo Coupe) and it worked great for me.

Right now, the Mishimoto dual fan setup for the fox body Mustangs is really popular and getting great reviews. The biggest issue seems to be that you'll likely have to relocate/replace your coolant reservoir if it's one that mounts to the shroud. I can't remember what setup you have right now.

Also, if you haven't already, this would be a great time to convert to a 130a 3G alternator.

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't have a 3G alternator yet, but that's a part of the plan as well ... will probably be purchasing one within the week.  My coolant reservoir is the style that is mounted to the front of the core support, so no worries/issues there. 

Reply #3
After I made that post, I went through my brain archives and remembered when I tossed an e-fan on my old 3.8L.

I took a spare, 16" Advance Auto fan and a 15 dollar fan controller and tossed it on the car for the hell of it. Ripped off the clutch fan and fan shroud and used the nylon zip tie things through the radiator to hold in on. On a car rated with 120hp, it did add a little kick in the pants. It was somewhat impressive.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
I've used a lot of ebay electric fans on my cars and they always work great
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #5
Ford Contour or Mercury Mystique cooling fans from a V6 cars fit the best and are cheap from the yard.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout: