Skip to main content
Topic: I made a Doug DeMuro style review video of the 87-88 Turbo Coupe (Read 2236 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I made a Doug DeMuro style review video of the 87-88 Turbo Coupe

Reply #1
Great video!!  I miss my 85 TC just for the turbo spool.

Just a quick note, the Fox platform in the Mustangs ran from 77-93 with the SN95 platform starting in 1995 which ran through 2004 giving way to the S197 platform.

Also, The front LCAs on the 87-88 T-Birds/Cougars are 14" long which is the same as the 95-04 Mustang front LCAs while the 83-86 Birds/Cougars have the 12.75" long front LCA's which are the same as the 79-93 Fox Mustangs/Capris.  Call Maximum Motorsports and they will verify this. The 84-86 Mustang SVO utilized the same front LCA's as the 82-83 Lincoln Continental which are entirely different even though they are 14" long.  They have a deeper spring pocket, ball joint is raised, sway bar connection point is moved, and a non-serviceable large diameter ball joint. This LCA requires a longer spring due to the deeper spring pocket and the ball joint will not fit a Fox or SN95 spindle.  In general they are impossible to find but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
It may just have been the way you worded it, but around 9:30 you talk about the fox chassis and list all the models that used it, including the Cougar, but then state the T-bird is unique because the wheelbase was stretched. Made it seem like the Cougar was a 'standard Mustang' type and not the T-birds brother.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #3
You nickpicky sonsabitches!  :P

Reply #4
It may just have been the way you worded it, but around 9:30 you talk about the fox chassis and list all the models that used it, including the Cougar, but then state the T-bird is unique because the wheelbase was stretched. Made it seem like the Cougar was a 'standard Mustang' type and not the T-birds brother.
The "Fox Chassis" is the general layout. It started in '78 with the Fairmont/Zephyr. Same Front/rear suspension config and chassis layout. Different wheelbases. (Yes, control arms, etc are different lengths, depending on model)

There were at least 4-5 different wheelbases: (I don't have the #'s off the top of my head)
- 79-93 Mustangs/79-86 Capris
- Fairmonts/Zeyphrs/non-XR-7 80-82 Cougars/80-82 Granadas/83-86 LTD/Marquis
- 83-88 TBirds/Cougars
- 80-82 Thunderbirds and Cougar XR-7s
- Lincoln Mk7s
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
Pretty sure we agree with each other. Right? Tbird & Cougar being the same, does not make the Tbird the one unique to this wheel base. Maybe it's just semantics.

-boy, this thread got off course, sorry guys.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #6
Tbird is not a unique fox wheelbase.  Correct.
Mike