Skip to main content
Topic: Column to floor shifter (Read 1630 times) previous topic - next topic

Column to floor shifter

Hey guys. I plan on doing a column to floor shifter swap on my 86 Cougar but don't really know how I would go about doing it. What would be the easiest and less pricey way of doing this? Thanks!

Column to floor shifter

Reply #1
You really need to find somebody here using the classifieds that has the unique parts needed to do it right.....

-console (with associated mounting hardware, shifter bezel, control panel0
-shifter assembly and cable (unique to these cars)
-cable mount bracket (goes on transmission)
-transmission shifter arm

These came stock on the Sport model Birds and some V-8 Cougars as well.

You see them pop up from time to time.

Another option is always something like a B&M ratchet shifter if you like a big ass ugly shifter bolted to your floor.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Column to floor shifter

Reply #2
Lets say I was to go with an aftermarket shifter. What all would I need then? My car has a full console it just has a tray to hold stuff where the shifter would be.

Column to floor shifter

Reply #3
Well, it's hard to fit an aftermarket in that small area. I'd recommend being patient and getting stock pieces. You will have a to cut a hole on the floor, then a factory shifter bezel will swap right on to the console. The Turbo Coupe shifter won't work. They are different although they look about the same.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Column to floor shifter

Reply #4
If I was to find a mustang at the local junkyard could I get all that i need from right there, besides the shifter bezel?

Column to floor shifter

Reply #5
mustang ones are different.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Column to floor shifter

Reply #6
Yep. Our cars require specific parts.

Column to floor shifter

Reply #7
Do you have an aod or a c4 trans?  If you go with a b&m shifter get one for a mustang with the same trans you have. If you have an aod they have a lever kit you have to get also.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Column to floor shifter

Reply #8
So you're telling me that if I buy a aftermarket shifter like the B&M ratchet one Ill have all the parts to do the install except the bezel?

Column to floor shifter

Reply #9
yes, they do come with a universal bezal but just so you know, you will have to modify your console for it to fit. usually you end up losing the ashtray in the console.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Column to floor shifter

Reply #11
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-81002/overview/year/1993/make/ford/model/mustang
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Column to floor shifter

Reply #12
Sweet. Thank you!

Column to floor shifter

Reply #13
welcome
95 Ranger Splash 2.3