Skip to main content
Topic: Project "Barn Bird" (Read 21174 times) previous topic - next topic

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #75
Coming along ..... Nice

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #76
Thanks!! Just realized I may have to tribute Monster Rehab Lemonade somehow. I swears theres probably a can in almost every pic!!! LOL

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #77
Lookin Good  :-D

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #78
I cant wait till its looking better agian!!! Having it go from not looking to bad at all to this kinda makes it look like Im going backwards!! But I know this is all for the better, and when all is siad and done it will look 100% better.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #79
Quote from: Tbird-fanatic;425014
Thanks!! Just realized I may have to tribute Monster Rehab Lemonade somehow. I swears theres probably a can in almost every pic!!! LOL

Lol on the local mustang forum has a monster smiley  ...... Gotta have a energy drink lol

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #80
Quote from: STANG8U;425021
Lol on the local mustang forum has a monster smiley  ...... Gotta have a energy drink lol

Except that I buy it by the 4 or 10 pack!!! LOL 

Almost forgot to Ive now got a trans lined up for atleast a for now from a buddy!! So I better get going on getting a flywheel and clutch.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #81
I was looking back on your build and I just want to caution you on the intake adapter plate. It looks like there is a chance for it to have warped from the welding. Check it carefully for flatness because I know that my neighbor made a similar deal and it leaked from being warped. He had to take it back off to rectify it.

Just trying to save you some time!

Wow those fuel tanks can get really nasty after sitting for a while, can't they? Yikes.

Keep after it! You are making progress.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #82
Quote from: flylear45;425034
I was looking back on your build and I just want to caution you on the intake adapter plate. It looks like there is a chance for it to have warped from the welding. Check it carefully for flatness because I know that my neighbor made a similar deal and it leaked from being warped. He had to take it back off to rectify it.

Just trying to save you some time!

Wow those fuel tanks can get really nasty after sitting for a while, can't they? Yikes.

Keep after it! You are making progress.
Im still working on it abit, but the only warpage it had actually may help it seal better. But I may have one of my local buddies do the proper mod to clear everything and do some work on the lower so I can properly port it. Thanks for the input on that!! And ya I couldnt believe how bad the inside of the tank was, Ive never seen one this bad.

More sanding and more primer guide coat agian. Now Ill consider 1/2 the car in primer. Soon Ill be pulling the front and rear bumper cover and the header to get them ready for paint. The door, hood, and bit of the quarter I had done yesterday are officially smooth. I did hit them all with a little more as the primer is also a filler primer, so when Im done she'll be ready for the final stuff when its painted. Down below the belt trim Im not as concerned about how smooth as Ive got a different idea for down there so it done have to be perfect. But it will get work done as soon as I figure out how to get the center section off without damaging them. What ever tape is holding them is some strong stuff.

Also finally remembered to take a pic of the valve cover stripped. I really need to decide what exactly Im doing with it!!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #83
The best way to get the side moldings off is to use piano wire and saw through the tape. It's slow but it works great.

Also before you put the moldings back on remove the aluminum strip that the adhesive tape is stuck on from the factory. If you don’t the molding won’t lay straight.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #84
That's a great tip

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #85
Quote from: thunderjet302;425130
The best way to get the side moldings off is to use piano wire and saw through the tape. It's slow but it works great.

Also before you put the moldings back on remove the aluminum strip that the adhesive tape is stuck on from the factory. If you don’t the molding won’t lay straight.

Thanks for the tips, now I just need to remember where I just saw some cheap!! I could probably use guitar string Id assume to?

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #86
Guitar string would probably work as well. You just need something that's rough enough to cut through the adhesive tape.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #87
My son has one of those cheap walmart ones and all the small diameter strings broke. Might be able to steal one, hoping one of the broke ones is rough enough.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #88
if it won't saw through easily, use a heat gun and just heat up the trim a bit, obviously being careful to not melt anything.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #89
Funny you say that haystack, my crazy wife was out on black friday and picked me up a heat gun that was on sale at Menards. Figured for $10 what the hell right!!