Skip to main content
Topic: new 87 bird. (Read 10972 times) previous topic - next topic

new 87 bird.

Reply #45
I agree, but chuck mounts cost more then half what i paid for the car, and these were only $20. If i i replaced them with stock mounts to get me by until i could afford them, they would cost me $37 each and are special order. at the very least, these mounts will not seperate and ruin everything under the hood if they do go.

i finished pulling the motor today, got a good look at some things, and so far it looks like i may just do the h.o. upgrade while i have everything apart. i also found quite a few ruined smog pump and emissions equipment. the plastic valve/couplers to the smog pump stuff were all melted. the metal tube that i knew was rotted wasn't even getting aair from the pump to get back down to the cats. still did fine on emissions.

i want to get back to driving this car soon. I'm trying to decide between just swapping the cam, computer and fuel injectors while i have it all out and have all the gaskets, or if i should wait a few months for all the peices for my.gt40/explorer swap to line up correctly and drop it all in at once a few months down the road on the new motor
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

new 87 bird.

Reply #46
I've been dragging my feet on this, but i have the motor out and managed to get all but one bolt out of the block without any serious work. two spun out by hand. the last one i am gonna try to slot with a dremel bit and see if i can spin it out with a screwdriver or chisel, hopefully have it ready this weekend.

i pulled the motor/trans/exhaust all in one go, and that is definately the way to go. i figure I've got 2.5 hours in the removal.

i should be started back up at work in the next few weeks, then i can finish my gt-40 swap stuff. I'm still on the fence for which motor to use, so ill probably pull the heads and see how worn out everything is. it leaked oil pretty good, but i found a blown rear seal, oil pan and timing chain cover.

i do have everything i need for a h.o. swap, so i may just do the h.o. swap with a gt-40 upper/lower and then build up my other motor over the summer. actually machine the heads and maybe convert to roller rockers and ensure i have clearance. my other block is a 85 gt with 87-92 pistons with valve releifs. so ill probably mock up the junkyard gt-40's or p heads and see if i can get away with milling them or not.

time will tell...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com