Skip to main content
Topic: 87 Sport front brake hose replacements, help please! (Read 4316 times) previous topic - next topic

87 Sport front brake hose replacements, help please!

Im having trouble finding the correct replacement hoses for my car.  Everything that all the parts houses show have an inward flare on the fitting on the hose, but my cars hoses have an outward flare.  Has anyone else run into this?  Where can I get hoses?

Reply #1
I have a newer replacement hose that I installed awhile back on my 88 XR-7 that I will be replacing to do 11" upgrade.  It's yours if you want it , just message me your info and I can mail it to you.
Tim

Reply #2
Im needing to replace both of mine, they are rotting pretty badly.  Just trying to find if there was an uncommon hose setup used on some of the cars for some reason.  Ive already bought hoses from Autozone, and my mechanic says that they have the wrong flare.  Did some website research, and all the other parts houses (O'Reilly's, Advance Auto) have the same hose according to the pictures.  My cars at my mechanics right now and hes waiting on me to find a correct set of hoses somewhere.

Reply #3
Have you tried Rockauto.com, here's what they have.....

WAGNER Part # BH111933  {#F111933}
  F Brake Hose EXC TURBO COUPE; Base Model

Choose:
$4.32
Add Part
UBP Part # BH1079
  Front Brake Hose; EXC TURBO COUPE; Base Model [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining)
$4.76
Add Part
BENDIX Part # 77180   
  Rear Drum brakes; Front Disc brakes; 10" x 1 3/4"; 9" x 1 3/4"; Rear Right
  Rear Drum brakes; Front Disc brakes; 10" x 1 3/4"; 9" x 1 3/4"; Rear Left

Choose:
$4.82
Add Part
AMERICAN REMANUFACTURERS INC. Part # 8734043
  Front Brake Hose RIGHT; 9" REAR DRUM
  Front Brake Hose RIGHT; 10" REAR DRUM
  F Brake Hose RIGHT; 9" REAR DRUM; Base Model
  F Brake Hose RIGHT; 10" REAR DRUM; Base Model [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]
$4.85
Add Part
DORMAN Part # H38260  {#E5SZ2078A}
  Front Left
  Front Right

$5.09
Add Part
EIS Part # SP6874
  F Brake Hose EXC 2.3L TURBOCHARGED; Base Model
Choose:
$5.27
Add Part
AMERICAN REMANUFACTURERS INC. Part # 8734038
  Front Brake Hose LEFT; REAR DISC
  F Brake Hose LEFT; REAR DISC; Base Model [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 9 Remaining)
$5.98
Add Part
EIS Part # SP6325
  R Brake Hose EXC 2.3L TURBOCHARGED; Base Model [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 4 Remaining)
$6.69
Add Part
UBP Part # BH1516
  Rear Brake Hose; Base Model [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]
$6.72
Add Part
DORMAN Part # H98945  {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} 
  REAR CENTER
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
I just looked at Rockauto. Looks like the same hoses. Im beginning to think my mechanic might be going crazy and is looking at something wrong.  Im supposed to meet him at O'Reilly's in a few hours to look at what they have and see if we can figure this out.  The guy at the store said that the hose they can get matches what my mechanic says we need, even though the pic on their website doesnt look it.

Reply #5
Ok, well apparently there are no hoses available for a Thunderbird that fit my car.  Idk wtf is up with that.  So, we ordered new calipers today in hopes that the new hoses will fit them. Fortunately calipers are cheap.  Just hope they work.

Reply #6
Ok, the new calipers dont work either.  They are the same flare as what is factory on the car and wont work with the new hoses.  Guess its time to find someone to custom make them.

Reply #7
when I ordered my flex hoses from rock auto...they didnt match the picture..... but they fit the calipers I ordered them for
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
Unless your car has already had the 11" brake upgrade done to it, your Thunderbird should take same calipers and hoses as 4 cylinder mustang.

Reply #9
I was about to post that.

The 4 banger stangs have the same brake system as our cars. I seem to remember ordering one when my tbird ones were out of stock.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
This is what shows to fit my car:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Brakeware-Brake-Hose-Front/1987-Ford-Thunderbird/_/N-iilgfZ8knp9?itemIdentifier=752345_166223_3559_

This is what shows for a 4 cyl Mustang:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Brakeware-Brake-Hose-Front/1987-Ford-Mustang/_/N-iil81Z8knp9?itemIdentifier=21212_166223_3559_

Both are pretty much the same thing except the fittings are different sizes.  Both have the wrong flared end.  Neither will fit my stock calipers, or the new calipers I ordered to try with the new hoses.

Reply #11
Go to a hose a nd rubber store house with the origonal parts. They will probably be close to the same bprice, or cheaper.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Thats kinda the direction we are looking now.  Is this just a weird variation on my car?  If so, I cant help but wonder why the new calipers were the same style.

Reply #13
Can you post pics of whats different?
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #14
I dont have my car its at my mechanics.  The only difference is the flare on the end of the fitting that screws into the caliper.  The new hoses have an inward flare, and the factory hoses have an outward flare.  The new hoses thread in, but probably wont seal good since its the wrong flare.
Heres some pics of the difference in the flares taken from the internet.

Wrong flare:
http://brakefittingsclicks.blogspot.com/2011/05/aas-brake-line-adapter-210-45-10pcs-f.html

Right flare:
http://ribetautoparts.com/metric-bubble-flare-iso---brass-brake-line-adapters---3-16-tube-female---12mm-x-1-0-male-thread-bubble-flare.aspx