Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Pad/Cover Replacement (Read 4474 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Pad/Cover Replacement

Now that I have my dash removed to replace my heatercore, I figured it is a good time to look at replaceing my dash pad on my 87 Bird. It finally cracked last year. This is the worst thing on my car and I am willing to pay a premium if I can get something that looks good. Any suggestions

Reply #1
other than a carpet cover, this is your only option unless you find someone that will reform your dash.

http://www.dashcaps.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16977&cat=318&page=1

Reply #2
I have seen these on line but can't find pictures of it on a vehicle. I suppose finding a used OE dash in good shape is next to impossible

Reply #3
A used dash will probably crack eventually as well. It's still 25 years old. The dash caps actually look great once they are installed and done right. They can be sprayed to match the dash as well. Needs tpuppies and fitting, because everyone of our dashes will have minor fit differences. It's easy to do if you take your time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
here is some good info that will help you.

http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/dashtop.html

Reply #5
Thunderjet302 has a dash cap/cover. There is a pics somewhere on here.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #6
Here is a picture of my wife's dash with a cover on.
Had it painted the same as the original.

X

Reply #7
Quote from: Turbojet;401364
Here is a picture of my wife's dash with a cover on.
Had it painted the same as the original.

Can you get a closeup of the texture? Preferably on the passenger side where the two meet? I assume it's far from the stock texture, which is what I hate about the cover I still have sitting in my attic.

Beautiful red interior ;)
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #8
Quote from: Seek;401366
Can you get a closeup of the texture? Preferably on the passenger side where the two meet? I assume it's far from the stock texture, which is what I hate about the cover I still have sitting in my attic.

Beautiful red interior ;)

Right now, the car is hibernating for the winter:D.

I don't know how well a picture will look in there, but if you still need one let me know.

Coverlay is the name of the cover I have and the texture looks like the original dash.

I had the dash, speaker grills, air ducts, and the middle plate all painted at the same time so there would be no color differences.

Reply #9
Quote from: Turbojet;401395
Right now, the car is hibernating for the winter:D.

I don't know how well a picture will look in there, but if you still need one let me know.

Coverlay is the name of the cover I have and the texture looks like the original dash.

I had the dash, speaker grills, air ducts, and the middle plate all painted at the same time so there would be no color differences.

Here are pictures of the one I received years back. It has a VERY bad wrinkle texture. I decided that the cracked dash looked better than this hideous thing, even if I were to color match it. The OP may agree that they wouldn't want to pay $150 for something when there may be better products out there. I think pictures of yours from coverlay may help everyone.

1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #10
Here is mine for the midnighter. My buddy custom upholstered it.

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #11
A few people on the NATO board have the dashcaps one and I have heard nothing but good things about them if that makes any difference to you.:dunno:
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

Reply #12
The one I recently got (ebay seller) has that wrinkled texture. Doesn't bother me, though.  I think it's much less noticeable on a black dash.

Reply #13
Better than cracks....lol.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #14
Quote from: TOM Renzo;401417
Here is mine for the midnighter. My buddy custom upholstered it.

Looks great Tom!!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo