Skip to main content
Topic: Scary stuff happening........ (Read 10297 times) previous topic - next topic

Scary stuff happening........

Reply #45
If you need a crank, I've got one. It's not going anywhere else. (except for in a bag, once I pull it from the block, as I need the stand for my Chevy engine to swap into my farm truck ASAP) lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #46
Ho's and sd's are the same crank. I could be wrong.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #47
If I remember correctly Kitz you are right, I know the heads, cam, and intake were different. I think the short blocks were the same providing that they both had forged pistons. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Reply #48
Yep, cranks and connecting rods were the same, pistons were different, and the timing chains were different. H.O engines had the double roller, SO engines did not.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #49
Vinnie,

When you built the motor what brand of oil pump did you use?  The Melling pumps are not what they used to be the last few years.  I am buying blue printed Mellings from Charlie up at Folk's Automotive in Norman. They are not cheap but he puts them in a fixture and dials in the oil pressure as the pump has a set screw (for lack of a better term).  I had the same  thing happen to me about four years ago on the Coupe which caused a complete tear down and ended up getting the crank turned 10 on the mains and 20 on the rods.  Went back together with the pump from Charlie and never had a problem.  We spun the one that was in the car up and it was leaking between the bottom plate and the housing.  If you pulled the body of the pump out of the oil bath it would suck air.  We figured the front sump did not have enough oil in it to submerge the pump in some corners and that is what eventually got the bearings.  One was knocking and four or five others were hurt.  The cam bearings we okay but Charlie said something about that not being uncommon.

Anyhow, good luck with it and hopefully is a quick and cheap fix.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #50
I'll take pics of stuff Saturday. Gotta work tomorrow (wish I didn't), and working at the hospital means 12 hour shifts, which means no time. I think it was a Melling pump I used. I may look for an NOS Ford pump. Ebay here I come. LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #51
Good luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #52
I appreciate that. I need all I can get.

Reply #53
I've been pretty good with the FRPP pump I used.  I put it on a 120k motor.  I left the long block untouched except for swapping the teeny Explorer cam out for an HO cam and swapping on that FRPP pump.  Hot idle oil press of 42 psi with 120,000+ miles on the engine.

Reply #54
I'm pretty sure Melling makes the Ford pumps, so you should be good Vinnie.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #55
Yup, Melling makes the Ford pumps.  Hopefully their tolerance issues have been addressed and we would all hope that Ford would be pretty picky with slapping their name on it as well.  What ever you do don't put a high volume unit in the motor unless you have a 7 qt pan as they have been reported to suck a 5 qt dry.  Also, be sure to check your pickup tube clearance to the bottom of the pan.  If memory serves me right you want about 1/4" or a little more but hopefully Tom and chime in here.

Darren

Reply #57
Quote from: Aerocoupe;401333
Yup, Melling makes the Ford pumps.  Hopefully their tolerance issues have been addressed and we would all hope that Ford would be pretty picky with slapping their name on it as well.  What ever you do don't put a high volume unit in the motor unless you have a 7 qt pan as they have been reported to suck a 5 qt dry.  Also, be sure to check your pickup tube clearance to the bottom of the pan.  If memory serves me right you want about 1/4" or a little more but hopefully Tom and chime in here.

Darren

Don't believe everything you read, I have a HV pump in my 5.0 and have run it with four quarts(quart low) and never sucked the pan dry... That said, in most instances a HV pump isn't needed on a SBF...

Vinnie if it has coolant in the oil that's why the bearings are wiped out, takes very little to ruin them... Leak could be as simple as a intake gasket, no matter where it is any coolant in the oil is bad...

Reply #58
Just a thought Never use a HV or pressure pump on an engine!!!  :hick::mullet:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #59
Was not what only what I read but word of mouth from a machinist and two engine builders.  Everyone has different experiences and I even built a 302 with a HV Melling pump and it worked flawlessly but is was a not a car I would take to the track.  Old rule of thumb is 10 psig for every 1,000rpm.

Darren