Skip to main content
Topic: My 85 TBird (Read 60578 times) previous topic - next topic

My 85 TBird

Reply #15
After getting the motor set in  modified the factory mount for the intercooler pump and made a bracket for the body.

To mount the intercooler i trimmed up the factory brackets and made some tabs to mount it to the frt bumper rebar. Before welding the brackets up I installed the frt cover, used some plywood as a spacer for clearance, positioned and welded on the tabs. Still need to fab up some brackets to help support the rear of the cooler. Was able to use all of the mustang hoses and tubing, just had to shorten the hoses some here and there. It fits really well in the lower grille opening of the turbo coupe cover.

My 85 TBird

Reply #16
Nice work. Lovin' this!

Nice Work!!

Reply #17
Quote from: bodyman;389872
I checked out your photos, very nice, thats gonna be one clean engine bay. I had to trim my k member lower mount and relocate the holes , you can just see the front of the orginal holes, didn't look like you had to trim yours.

Ya, I have to trim mine the same as you did yours. I got ahead of myself and painted the k-member before tpuppies it. I had marked it but ........  I'm liking your progress. Very nice work!!

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My 85 TBird

Reply #18
Mounting the AC cond was not too bad. Had to make some lower brackets and used the 2003 mustang insulators. Also used the 03 mustang upper mounts and insulators. Had to relocate the left upper mounting hole, widen the support on both sides, and modify the upper support for the extra width. Still need to do some finish work here and there.

My 85 TBird

Reply #19
Not sure using the 03 mustang rad and tanks were the right decision but I did get them in there, may have been easier to use a rad meant for the t bird and had a custom tank made for the intercooler. I ended up having to drill off the upper half of the lower rad support and replacing it with a piece with less rise. I could get the radiator in there without doing this but there was no room for any type of insulator. If I moved my top mounting plate up any the tanks would not clear the hood. The cap for the intercooler tank comes within 1/4 in of the hood bracing and I did not want to have to cut the hood any.

Relief is for fan clearance

Also had to remove the  from the top of the rad support, better shot of that in the condenser pic.

Mount to support rear of rad tank

My 85 TBird

Reply #20
That's some killer work!!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My 85 TBird

Reply #21
That's quite a bit of fab work, but the end result sure looks factory
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

My 85 TBird

Reply #22
Thanks guys. If someone didn't know better I want it to look like Ford may have put it in there. On sunday was able to get everything mounted and hoses hooked up. Supported the back of the intercooler to the bracket fabbed up for the power steering cooler.

Did some searching on here about subframe connectors. Liked the looks of the thru the floor connectors, but was wondering about carpet fit and seat interference. Also liked the look of Aerocoupes (Darren) tubular set up, may go with something like that.

My 85 TBird

Reply #23
Wow!  Amazing work, I wish I had those skills.
Mike

My 85 TBird

Reply #25
Was able to get the transmission mounts welded in this weekend. Moved the mounts back 3.75 inches. Any more than that and the floor pans changed enough that the mounts did not fit well without major modifications. I did have to cut them a little bit to get them flush with the floor. On the L mount I cut in about 2 inches and rebent from the end of the cut to the edge. It was bent from the angle to where I began the cut.

The R mount just needed the upper s cut to be able to fit flush with the foor pan.

Even with the mounts set back the ford motorsport crossmember is maxxed out to the rear and the transmission mount bolts are almost to the rear most location.

My 85 TBird

Reply #26
Also made some headway on getting the suspension figured out. First I found out that the steering shaft hits the header, so that needs some attention. Then I found out that the 275/40/r17 and svt cobra rims do not fit inside the fender. I have Maximum motor sport caster camber plates, coil overs, 03 spindle and brakes on 13" lower control arms with the SN95 ball joints. The caster camber plates are maxed out and the top of the tires still need to come in, I know with the 14" control arm that the camber will work out, but that still doesn't get the tire inside the fender. An easy fix would be some 8" frt rims with smaller tires, but I have not seen these rims in that width. May consider moving the camber caster mount holes in board if my alignment guy thinks this will get the tires inside the fender.

On a good note the mustang width 9 inch rear with crown vic rear disk brakes and the same 275/40/R17s fit nicely, could even get a little more tire in there. They could use about a 1/4" spacer to move the tires out. I have SN 95 length rear springs, will be getting some adjustable RLCA to bump up the ride height.

My 85 TBird

Reply #27
Nice work Bodyman
i have a question are you gonna keep your original cluster?
i was wondering how to deal with the t 56 digital signal of the vss in order to make the original speedometer work
id like to do a coyote swap  in the future but want to retain to stock cluster

My 85 TBird

Reply #28
Nice work Bodyman
i have a question are you gonna keep your original cluster?
i was wondering how to deal with the t 56 digital signal of the vss in order to make the original speedometer work
id like to do a coyote swap in the future but want to retain to stock cluster

Thanks,
I am having a custom cluster built by a friend. He is going to mount the mustang movements to a custom face. I would think you could find and electronic speedo that reads what yours does, or whatever you want,  and mount it to your face plate in place of the mechanical one. Should be able to use your needle and probably have to get a custom face printed to match, unless the sweep is exactly the same. May have to do that with all the guages. Unless your cluster is digital, then I don't have a clue.

My 85 TBird

Reply #29
It's been "awhile" but finally got some work done on the bird. Ended up going with a Glenns Performace sleeper sump fuel tank and a return type fuel system. Built a bracket to mount the fuel pump to the front of the tank and started to route fuel lines to the front. Glenn's instructions state to mount the pump at the same level as the tank outlet.  I need to get a 120 degree fitting for the end of the fuel pump to help keep the fuel line tucked in closer to the body.