Skip to main content
Topic: different color greys (Read 31313 times) previous topic - next topic

different color greys

the light grey is from a 1987 XR7, the dark grey is from a turbo coupe.  Both are 1987.  Do they make the light grey in the tbird window shape?  Or is it a Merc color only?
1987 TC

different color greys

Reply #1
i'll take a picture of my tbird next time i work on my car...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

different color greys

Reply #2
Not to take away from your post, but when I stripped the inside of my cougar, all the moulded panels were stamped t-bird on the backs.
Just thought that was weird.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

different color greys

Reply #3
I think Ford molded in one color (grey) and painted all the rest.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

different color greys

Reply #4
Quote from: t3skidoo;206678
I think Ford molded in one color (grey) and painted all the rest.

Nope, I've NEVER seen painted interior parts(least that Krylon Clem hadn't worked on)...

Quote from: HAVI;206632
the light grey is from a 1987 XR7, the dark grey is from a turbo coupe.  Both are 1987.  Do they make the light grey in the tbird window shape?  Or is it a Merc color only?

My '87 Sport had the light gray interior... Don't think that color was avail in '88 or in TCs...

different color greys

Reply #5
Yup Light gray was available in 88 Tbirds.  8birdy8's car was light gray.
One 88

different color greys

Reply #6
Mine are moulded red, but the dash is half painted. and there's 2 diff. reds
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

different color greys

Reply #7
Nope, I've NEVER seen painted interior parts(least that Krylon Clem hadn't worked on)...

Here's my 2 tone red dash

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

different color greys

Reply #8
thanks, guys.  In looking in the local JY's, I have yet to see another car with light grey.  But, if they're out there, I'm looking for some interior pieces to make my cougar interior work in my TC.
1987 TC

different color greys

Reply #9
You can always paint some to match until you find the real ones
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

different color greys

Reply #10
That's why I got the dark grey panels for now.  But I don't have any package tray yet, and I'm thinking I can trim the headliner.  Everything else should fit...I hope.
1987 TC

different color greys

Reply #11
The lighter grey is Smoke Grey...it was available in 1986-88 and was part of the two-tone Raven interiors.

The darker panel is Raven.

You can definitely find the T-Bird panel in Smoke Grey. My old '88 Sport had them in that color.

Not to take away from your post, but when I stripped the inside of my cougar, all the moulded panels were stamped t-bird on the backs.
Just thought that was weird.

LOL It is but that's the way it was done...most every part on these cars had T-Bird prefixes and stampings. Very few parts were ever stamped 'Cougar' anywhere.

I have.

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;206683

My '87 Sport had the light gray interior... Don't think that color was avail in '88 or in TCs...

I bought a spare panel that goes directly below the steering column from a dealer.  My interior is grey, they had a tan color.  I told them I wanted "grey", they said that was the only color available.  (I think they were lying.) 

Bought it anyway, and started playing around with it.  It was painted, the molded color matched my interior.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

different color greys

Reply #13
Yep my 88 T-bird has a smoke gray interior (same color as the light gray). Everything is smoke gray but the dash which is raven on top and smoke gray on the bottom.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

different color greys

Reply #14
Yep my 88 T-bird has a smoke gray interior (same color as the light gray). Everything is smoke gray but the dash which is raven on top and smoke gray on the bottom.

Same setup on my Coug.  'Cept the headliner & door carpet are now black:hick:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!