Skip to main content
Topic: Doh! (Read 2834 times) previous topic - next topic

Doh!

The other day my rear axle developed a whining sound. So I ask my Dad, who is a mechanic, what it could be since I do not know much about the rear axle except that it is a 7.5 inch ring gear and the ratio is 3.27. Anyway he determined that it was the carrier bearings that were making the noise. We started the teardown on Saturday morning and stopped when I had to go to work. So we went to finish it today and almost had the carrier housing back in when the carrier shim broke! :brick: . Now I have to wait until Monday so I can go to the Ford dealer to get a new shim. On top of that when we tried to remove the passenger side axle bearing it came apart and left the outer part stuck in the axle housing. But we eventually beat it out.  Not that long ago we replaced the u-joints and pinion seal. If one more thing breaks I'm gonna do this to my car :macgun:

Re: Doh!

Reply #1
Mine has had a whine since I bought it.  I'm just holding out for an 8.8"

Reply #2
Quote from: Ifixyawata
Mine has had a whine since I bought it.  I'm just holding out for an 8.8"

wait, it isn't supposed to? :giggle:
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #3
mine whines too, i just say its the supercharger
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
i thought rear-ends were supposed to whine a little bit? i used royal purple and it cut down the whine. My buddy's Mustang 8.8 whines a lot more than my 7.5... which didn't whine until i got traction lok. *shrugs* then again... i've never had quiet exhaust on this car either.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #5
My rear-end whines like droning... that's all you can hear-whine. It's the kind of whine that changes depending on which way you're turning. Plus it's got massive amounts of play-clunk. I could live with the whine (I can't even hear it over my exhaust anyway) if not for the large amounts of play. I just need an 8.8" really bad, that's all.  Traction-lok, 3.55 or so gears.

Reply #6
It never used to whine until about a week ago. At first you could bearly hear it then it got so bad that i had to turn up my radio halfway to drone it out.

Reply #7
So I go to the Ford Dealer today to see about the shim and they told me I need to measure it first and then they have to special order it. They wouldn't even measure it for me or look for the specifications. I am so tired of dealing with people. :flip: And the other day when I went to Advance auto to get an EGR vacuum solenoid they told my my car didn't have one. It even showed up on the computer screen but he was like they don't make one for your car. WTF! I wasn't going to argue with him because I wasn't too sure exactly what it was in the first place.

Reply #8
I went to Advance auto to get an EGR vacuum solenoid they told my my car didn't have one. It even showed up on the computer screen but he was like they don't make one for your car.
What's the engine code in your VIN (digit #8?)?

Advance uses http://www.partsamerica.com for their online buying, and they show nothing for VIN 4, but 6 choices for VIN 3.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #9
Its a 3. The guy probably selected the other choice for engines when he looked for the part. :slap:

Reply #10
Lowcat,
Is it me or does your axle have a slight bend to it?  It looks that way inthe picture, however nothing looks like its cracked or wrinkled or anything like that
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #11
I think it is just the picture. I was laying on the creeper when I took it. I don't have any alignment problems or any vibrations. If it was bent I would imagine it would vibrate like crazy.

Reply #12
Well I got it all back together today and everything is in good working order. And no more whining sound! :banana: At least I got to drive my brothers 92 Cougar 3.8 while mine was being fixed. That extra 20 hp and 40 ft/lbs of torque really makes a difference. After driving that for a few days I realize that my car is the slowest thing I have ever driven. No wait I drove my friends 3 cyl geo metro once :slap:  but my car is definatly the second slowest car I have ever driven. :shakehead