Skip to main content
Topic: Toying with T5 swap behind 3.8 (Read 8640 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Toying with T5 swap behind 3.8

Reply #15
Being a little bored today(and home sick), I did a little poking around on the net. The statement about the 3.8 bellhousing is correct because the SN95 chassis places the tranny farther back due to shifter location(the SN95 5.0 bell is deeper as well). So these trannys have a longer input than the earlier Fox units.
ok here is what i found out today

94+ t5's have a longer input shaft & bellhousing than the 85-93 ones this goes for all mustangs

94+ v6er's have a 164t 11" flywheel/flexplate i belive the balance on the 94-00 is 34.X ounces and i know the 01+ is neutral balanced

94+ gt's and cobras have a 157t 10" flywheel/flexplate the balance on all 94+ 5.0's is 50 ounce

the supercoupes ran a m5r2 trans and had a 164t 11"flywheel all but the early 89's were neutral balance

the bellhousing's are diff in the starter mounting area to adjust for the size
(ie a 11" 164t flywheel needs a v6 bellhousing and a 10" 157t flywheel needs a gt/cobra bellhousing. the starters are all the same)

you cannot put a v6/sc clutch on a gt/cobra flywheel or vise versa

i'm going to run a 95 gt tranny/bellhousing and a 95 gt flywheel i'm having rebalanced to neutral this allows me to run a $160 fms king cobra clutch whereas i would have to shell out $300+ for a v6 clutch of similar quality :D oh and the 310+ trq rating of the wc gt trans is nice

BTW I copyed this info from a post I found in a Yahoo search of "3.8 bellhousing"

http://www.moderndriveline.com/

Reply #16
While searching, I found this post from V6power.net where a guy states that an '86 3.8L Mustang crankshaft might not be drilled for a pilot bushing because no 3.8's had a manual transmission option. This, if true, makes me wonder if my '87 3.8L crank is machined for a pilot bushing.

Also, my friend hasn't verified if the 3.8 and 5.0 flywheels have the same bolt pattern, but a guy on V6power.net says so. Link

Reply #17
Well, after having a shop replace the Cougar's rear main seal; I was informed the crank isn't drilled for a pilot bushing.  :(

Reply #18
Quote from: JeremyB
Well, after having a shop replace the Cougar's rear main seal; I was informed the crank isn't drilled for a pilot bushing.  :(

UHHH I ain't believing that... The snout on the torque converter has to fit some where....

Reply #19
i was going to jump in on starter issues but it looks like its covered.  You gotta really make darn sure you got the right "TYPE" of starter with respect to the flex plate and the flywheel or ring gears will be fuggered up as well as starter bendix's. 

my 87 coug had a nipple for a pilot bearing and i think it was an E3 casting im pretty sure.

Reply #20
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
UHHH I ain't believing that... The snout on the torque converter has to fit some where....

Yes, I've yet to take off the transmission myself so I'm ignant in that regard. I didn't realize all the automatic transmission torque converters had snouts on them. The Helm manual agrees too. Looks like the only hurdle left is being able to balance a 5.0L flywheel to 3.8L specs.

Reply #21
Here's a pic for reference.
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #22
According to my information, all AOD's are the same, externally, with the exception of the length difference on the Lincoln/Truck units. Internally, V6 AOD's had less clutches than the 5.0 units.

This tells us, that the bellhousing is the same on the 3.8 and the 5.0. So my answer to your question is: your typical T5 should be fine. You'll have to find the right flywheel, and pinion bearing, yourself. I would think that the 5.0 or the 4 cyl pinion would be fine.

If you want to do this swap inexpensively, I would say to use the stuff from a 4 cyl Mustang T5 or a 5 spd Turbocoupe. That will get you started more quickly, and get you the steeper gearing in the 4 cyl transmission. Again, before you make your decision, you need to find out what size the pinion bearing would be on a 3.8.

Many 5.0 Mustang guys run the 4 cyl T5's, and indicate that they're almost as durable as the V8 T5, if that makes you feel any better. :)
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #23
wow, long time no see Ed

as for the bellhousings, with the automatics, yes, they are the same, but the 5-speeds are different, the flywheel for the 3.8 is 11", and the bellhousing is made differently so it is able to clear the extra diameter

as for the pilot bearing, if you use a 4-banger T5, use one from a ford probe, a 3.8 stang, use one from that stang, and a 5.0, use one from a 5.0
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #24
Interesting. So what's with the 3.8L V6 Mustang, 5 speed from 94+? Same deal? Is it a T45 instead of a T5?
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #25
as far as i know, the 3.8 stangs got T5's, but the input shaft is an akward diameter and longer than a 5.0's
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #27
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
For more info on the T5s check out the link, but basically the SN95 bell housings(3.8 & 5.0) are deeper than the Fox Stangs to mount the tranny farther back(shifter placement).

which is why the input shaft is also longer
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #28
And causes potential problems... :(

Reply #29
One of my neighbors used a 4 cyl tranny in a '96 3.8 Stang, with a late '80s Probe pilot bearing. Been in for two years now and his kid has wrecked it twice, but the tranny is still shifting just fine.