Skip to main content
Topic: column to floor selector mod question (Read 1588 times) previous topic - next topic

column to floor selector mod question

hey guys its been a while since i posted. ( cars been running good and i've been low on cash.) well here's the short story.... the birds oil pan started leaking(gushing like aseen from kill bill) :shoothead  this is an '84  whith the 5.0L and i've found the price that i had to pay for the power the oil pan goes over the frame(what sick puppy at ford came up with this nuckle busting idea????) :slap: any how since i had to take half the car apart and practicly pull the engine i decided to do some much needed repairs (motor mounts, oil pump, tranny mount, and yes before one of you smart a**es asks the oil pan gasket.) while i was doing all of this i remembered the j-yard find from about six months ago. the nice little stock floor shifter for my car(did i say short story??? OOOPS) i looked up on coolcats to see what to do. sounded simple enough just flip over the lever on the tranny and add a bracket, right??? well brackets added, floor is cut, selector mounted to floor. the blankety blankety blank card sardend lever on the tranny won't come of the car. am i missing something i've undone the nut that holds on the kickdown rod from the throtlebody removed the rod from the shaft and i don't see another nut or anything that would hold the lever to the rod but it just won' let go!!!!!!  so any input would be nice i can't wait to have the floor selector back(this is the only car i've owned that has'nt had one.) :hick:
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Re: column to floor selector mod question

Reply #1
I wonder if it might have something to do with the end of paragraph 2...

The old trick is to remove the shifter lever from the transmission, simply flip it over, and reinstall. That will do the job just fine, but if you want to get the actual correct Ford part you can do so---either way is cool. This is a complex job and not to be taken lightly, as it involves removal of the valve body.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Re: column to floor selector mod question

Reply #2
the valve body needs to be removed, the net on the back of the lever needs to be loosened almost all the way, then a pin needs to be pulled, then you can slide the lever out and flip it over
It's Gumby's fault.