Skip to main content
Topic: Aod help (Read 1107 times) previous topic - next topic

Aod help

I am putting a 393" in my 88 Tbird, and since the car came with the aod, it's staying. But with the stupidity of ford not allowing to pick the gears, is there anything on the market for this trans to fix this issue? The trans will need to hold up to a 533hp/490lb tq combo. I know I will need a convertor with a 2500 stall, who does a good one for the ford aod ? Thanks !

Aod help

Reply #1
An updated valve body by lentech or somebody should take care of your shifting manually.

Travis

Aod help

Reply #2
PTC is who did my convertor for my car, give em a call. Super friendly people there.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Aod help

Reply #3
You're going to need more than a shift kit if you want an AOD to live behind that MONSTER. Even MY setup, being very strong, wouldn't hold up to THAT.  I've got a 4R70W stack with extra clutches, wider OD band and the 5.4L truck 4R70W forward servo piston that allows even MORE clutches.  The 4R70W has a lower 1st, 2nd and 4th gear than AOD.  I like the Wide-ratio setup better than the stock gear ratios, but 533hp is going to take sterner stuff than that.