Skip to main content
Topic: T-5 2nd gear problems on my '85 TC (Read 5479 times) previous topic - next topic

T-5 2nd gear problems on my '85 TC

Reply #30
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;364143
to answer your question, I love my steeda tri-ax shifter. the hurst short throw is nice too.

Hate to disappoint, but I'm sticking with the factory shifter.
I have mounted a Hurst T-Handle  on it in order to keep
the mint condition original TURBO embossed  brand new! ;)
The transmission shifts LIKE NEW after the repairs. WOOHOO!

Reply #31
Quote from: '85T-BirdTurboCoupe;364228
Hate to disappoint, but I'm sticking with the factory shifter.!

If you ever drove a car with an after market shifter , it would be you who were disappointed ,  The stock shifter feels like a baseball bat in a 55 gallon drum of water in comparison

But it's your car so do what you wish
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #32
Aftermarket shifter = 75-100 bucks...

Bent fork replacement = 320 bucks...

Yup, gotta pay to be "original".
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #33
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;364250
Aftermarket shifter = 75-100 bucks...

Bent fork replacement = 320 bucks...

Yup, gotta pay to be "original".

No worrys, the way I baby my garage queens, don't foresee any more problems!

Reply #34
you can always keep the stock handle and  along with the boot the keep the stock looks... but put a short throw base under it all and your pattern will tighten up quite a bit. it makes the difference. but to each their own

Reply #35
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;364309
you can always keep the stock handle and  along with the boot the keep the stock looks... but put a short throw base under it all and your pattern will tighten up quite a bit. it makes the difference. but to each their own

I actually have a shifter base from back when I had my '86 SVO Mustang.
Don't really know the details on it, but it was probably factory.
I'll have to dig it out & see.

Reply #36
Well, when I had my factory shifter in the t5 I have now.. it was tight no slop or anything. I got a very very sweet deal on the tri-ax base put it in and believe it or not my pattern changed from about 3/8" side to side travel and about 2 inches back and forth to about 1/4 inch side to side to 1 1/2 inch back and forth

I tell ya it was so tight if you werent paying attention comming out of 2nd into 3rd youd hit 5th. Its very nice, and tight as a drum friend. The tri-ax new is about 150 from UPR and its well worth it.

Just food for thought. I let my buddy drive it with the factory base and he thought I had a short throw in it already. After I put it in he almost didnt want to get out of the car.

-Clayton