Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 and 5.0 aod's???? are they the same??? (Read 5408 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 and 5.0 aod's???? are they the same???

Reply #15
Might be a dumb question, but what constitutes a built AOD? I need to work that in to the plans for the XR-7.... Either that or swap in a C-4. Don't think I really want to go that route though...
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Reply #16
yep. That'll work have some fun with it. I don't think it wil be that bad if its a SO motor. An HO will probably do some damage after a while but if you don't really car about it, go for it.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #17
Quote from: BadTriumph;342735
Might be a dumb question, but what constitutes a built AOD? I need to work that in to the plans for the XR-7.... Either that or swap in a C-4. Don't think I really want to go that route though...

Valve body mods, heavy duty clutches, hardened 2 piece lock up or 1 piece non lock up input shaft, 2" OD band, high stall converter, trans cooler, all the things that end up being expensive but make the car fun.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
Expensive but fun... I can dig that!
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Reply #19
Yeah the Leader in performance AOD's is LENTECH in canada. He builds some pretty stout stuff. Oh and my 302 is a HO,stock cam,e-7s,but still not enough to kill a tranny i dont think.
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

Reply #20
Any motor can kill any transmission if it doesn't have the right fluid, or correct amount. Also, the linkages need to be set properly, and for ANY spirited driving, I feel a good aftermarket tranny fluid cooler is a MUST. Saying an HO won't ruin an AOD is basically saying you'd risk the tranny...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #21
http://www.clickclickracing.com/  Ask these guys how much abuse an AOD can take. :)
1987 TC

Reply #22
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;342453
the bellhousings are the same? never knew that

The 232 is basically a 302 with two cylinders cut off.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #23
Quote from: Scott D;348124
The 232 is basically a 302 with two cylinders cut off.

internally or externally?

Reply #24
Quote from: 88turbo;348126
internally or externally?

Well, the 3.8L has the same 90* V that the 302/351 family has; over-head valves; the bore and stroke are exactly the same; bellhousing patterns are the same;

Reply #25
...Ford's Esshag v6 is based off of the Buick v6...albeit with iron heads.

The Canadian Esshag's origins are somewhat controversial. A common, but erroneous, belief is that the Esshag was based on the 5.0 L Windsor V8 engine,  because they both have a 90° vee configuration, are OHV, and that a  5.0 L V8 less two cylinders would make a V6 displacing around 3.8  liters. Though the practice of deriving a V6 from a V8 was not unheard  of (auto manufacturers have derived V6s from V8 designs before, such as  GM making the Vortec 4300 from the Vortec 5700 and Chrysler making the Magnum 3.9  from the 5.2), several important differences between the Windsor's  design and the Esshag's, such as their considerably different bore and  stroke, made a common design lineage implausible.
 One source states that the Esshag is instead a reverse engineered Buick V6 engine.  Toward the end of the 1970s, Ford needed a new six cylinder engine that  was powerful and compact enough to be used in a mid-size car while  meeting increasingly stricter emissions and fuel efficiency standards.  Since Ford did not have an engine available that could be readily made  to meet these requirements, one needed to be developed. The quickest and  least expensive approach in accomplishing this was to copy an existing  engine from a competitor, which ended up being the Buick V6 from General  Motors. Ford's resulting V6 was very similar to that of the original  Buick engine — down to an unusual external oil pump design that was  common in Buick engines and without precedent in modern Fords — and had a  nearly identical displacement. In fact, one of the only major  differences between the two engines early on was Ford's use of aluminum  heads as opposed to the cast-iron ones used in the original Buick  design. However, in the years since the Esshag V6's debut, design  revisions from both Ford and GM to their respective V6 designs have  differentiated their engines from each other to a point that any  relationship between the two designs is not as obvious as it once was.

3.8... Bore was 3.810 in (96.8 mm) and stroke was 3.390 in (86.1 mm).
5.0 has a 3.0" stroke...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #26
Now, I could have sworn that the 232 and the 302 had the same bore and stroke. I learned something, today

Reply #27
60 deg motors for both.. the 3.8 and 5.0

not sure why anyone would think the bell housings would be different.

actually the AOD 3.8L supercharged cars is the AOD go get.
Im done shifting.

The c4/c6 comment,,, well then have yourself an AOD with O/D and just down shift one detent,,lol

Reply #28
AODs are great if you want to drive a car on the highway with 3.73 gears. I turn 2800 rpm with 3.73s and a non lock up torque converter. With a lock up converter it would turn about 2400. My stock trans was rebuilt and is much better than even a SC AOD could hope to be. Again the problem is built AODs are not cheap. I had mine rebuilt with a bunch of high quality parts. Lets just say that it cost about what people would pay for two of these cars in ok shape......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #29
i'm doing the same swap,, and if i use the steel bar off a f150,, that comes from the carb to trans clutch will it work,, or will i still have the same problem,,, it a 93 xr7 3.8 stock modified to a 69 302 carbed motor