Skip to main content
Topic: 8.8 rearend (Read 2767 times) previous topic - next topic

8.8 rearend

When drag racing today and blew the 7.5 rear. What cars can I get an 8.8 out of to fit my 87 cougar? I don't want to go to 5 lug. I thought that I read that the SN95 rear has the same legnth axles. Is this true? Can I put my 4 lug axle in it and use the turbo coupe discs?
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Re: 8.8 rearend

Reply #1
Why not just find a '87-'88 TC rear and get the 8.8, discs, a decent gear ratio, and the Traction-Lock all at one shot??

Reply #2
Why not just find a '87-'88 TC rear and get the 8.8, discs, a decent gear ratio, and the Traction-Lock all at one shot??

nahh... its easier to buy a sn-95 rear and convert it to a tc rear. What you need to do is buy the sn-95 rear and buy a tc rear so it's easier to swap over the parts  :rolleyes:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

Yeah it would be better to just buy the tc rear plus you can put the quad shocks on... and I would think they would be cheaper...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
i got a tc rear with 3.73s in it if your interested.

Reply #4
try to find an '88 XR7 it's worth a little drive if you can find one. they are 8.8 posi's with the larger 10 drums. and a direct bolt in otherwise
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #5
yeah if you find a rear with drum brakes it will be easier/cheaper than one with discs, simply because you won't have to change any of the brake parts. putting the TC rear into my stang, I had to get a 94-95 gt master cylinder, 3-2 port conversion, adjustable proportioning valve, prop. valve plug, rear line adapters, and you're supposed to replace the e-brake cables as well.

Reply #6
I have found an 8.8 with drum brakes and 3.55 gears out of a mustang, which I'm going to jump on. This is one of the cheaper prices that I had been quoted locally.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Reply #7
yeah, if it has drums im guessing its a fox mustang rite? that narrower track width will let you run some big meat back their. like nick. big meat lol...

Reply #8
Quote from: Manson
yeah, if it has drums im guessing its a fox mustang rite? that narrower track width will let you run some big meat back their. like nick. big meat lol...

:D  :D  :D

295/50/15's :D
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #9
Quote from: Blown306Cougar
:D  :D  :D

295/50/15's :D

I had the same size tire under our cougar with the factory 7.5 rear and axles on 15 x 10 Weld wheels. I had to put rubber blocks in the springs to keep the tires from bitting the lip in the fenders under a twist.

As you can see belowis the result of my 7.5" rear that didn't stay together. On Sunday we went drag racing for a memorial race for a friend that died in a car accident 3 years ago. After spinning of the line on the first run, I decided to drop the air pressure to 20lbs in hope of getting a little traction. This had happen on my second time run. I don't believe the car moved even the slightest fraction on an inch. Here are a few pictures that I had taken after pulling the cover to see what broke.

I guess you can say that I got it to hook a little too hard.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Reply #10
OOh! That looks pretty :rollin:

Reply #11
Quote from: bluebird46
OOh! That looks pretty :rollin:

Yea.. Now you have a idea whats gonna happen when you put some sticky tires on your Bird...

Reply #12
I have a turbo coupe rearend for sale also. $200 takes it.

Reply #13
Quote from: c00chrick
I have a turbo coupe rearend for sale also. $200 takes it.

Where are you located?
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Reply #14
Westeren pennsylvania.