Skip to main content
Topic: Cougar Radio?EQ questions/input/advice (Read 4618 times) previous topic - next topic

Cougar Radio?EQ questions/input/advice

Hi guys, as you may have seen i am picking up a 1987 Cougar XR-7 this week, pretty loaded car.  No factory EQ....here are the questions:

1. Is the EQ plug and play with the premium sound radio?

2. I saw on ebay a 87 radio that had a provision for EQ, was that a different head unit than a standard deck?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Ford-Mustang-AM-FM-Radio-with-premium-sound-for-graphic-equalizer-option-/301084072546?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item461a025a62&vxp=mtr

3. I am absolutely staying stock with this car, so not interested in mods.  My OCD is already kicking in about the missing slot on the radio console.....  :-)

Thanks for any and all help, and if anyone has a nice EQ for sale, please let me know also.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #1
That is an EQ deck in the link. It's slightly different than the non EQ deck as it just has a balance control on the front. The EQ handles the fader control. I checked my 88 EVTM and the wiring between the premium sound without and with EQ is similar but not quite the same. You would have to look and see if the EQ connector is behind the radio or cubby. I *think* it should be there as my Thunderbird had the connector for the standard radio as well as the premium sound with EQ radio in the dash. I was able to run the head unit in my car through the standard radio connector and power the speakers by unplugging the amp in the trunk. So if the EQ connector is there it *might* be wired into the system. I can't say for sure though.

I was able to wire a JVC iPod/blutooth head unit into the factor premium sound amp with EQ system on my Thunderbird. I used one of those adapter harnesses to connect the power and then wired the RCA preouts in the back of the unit into the harness from the stock radio to the EQ. It works great. See: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?32798-Aftermarket-head-unit-with-stock-premium-sound-amp-and-eq
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Quote from: thunderjet302;429489
That is an EQ deck in the link. It's slightly different than the non EQ deck as it just has a balance control on the front. The EQ handles the fader control. I checked my 88 EVTM and the wiring between the premium sound without and with EQ is similar but not quite the same. You would have to look and see if the EQ connector is behind the radio or cubby. I *think* it should be there as my Thunderbird had the connector for the standard radio as well as the premium sound with EQ radio in the dash. I was able to run the head unit in my car through the standard radio connector and power the speakers by unplugging the amp in the trunk. So if the EQ connector is there it *might* be wired into the system. I can't say for sure though.

I was able to wire a JVC iPod/blutooth head unit into the factor premium sound amp with EQ system on my Thunderbird. I used one of those adapter harnesses to connect the power and then wired the RCA preouts in the back of the unit into the harness from the stock radio to the EQ. It works great. See: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?32798-Aftermarket-head-unit-with-stock-premium-sound-amp-and-eq

Lou,
Great tutorial and advice, thanks so much for the link.

Reply #3
That one wouldn't fit anyway. That's a snap-in, these cars, as you guys know, use the bolt-in HU.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #4
MY83T:  PM sent

Reply #5
Quote from: Kafer79;431061
MY83T:  PM sent

Thanks Ed.....