Skip to main content
Topic: Swapping 89 5.0 HO into my turbo coupe (Read 6625 times) previous topic - next topic

Swapping 89 5.0 HO into my turbo coupe

Reply #15
I couldn't find the original thread where this is dospoogeented but i found one with the exact details and another with the pictures to do this, I've got quite a bit of some miles on this setup and it works great, just thought I would throw this out ther in case anybody would find it helpful.
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?71585-SN95-Cobra-rear-brakes-and-Fox-length-axles
https://www.ranger-forums.com/engine-drivetrain-122/how-rear-disc-brake-conversion-stock-28-spline-ranger-rear-end-95557/

I had sold off my stock TC rear end and installed this rear end to fund some my swap and parts and so far it's worked out pretty good.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #16
Quote from: thunderjet302;462020
If I remember correctly doesn't some year 5.0 F-150 fuel rail hook up to the TC lines? If so that would also save you the hassle of having to swap 5.0 fuel lines in from the tank to the engine bay.

Does anyone recall if this is correct?

Reply #17
Quote from: Fearnot;464215

Maybe but I doubt it, a 5.0 is far wider than 2.3... Likely require serious "adjusting" at least...

I swapped lines from a 5.0 Bird into mine...

Reply #18
Quote from: thunderjet302;462020
If I remember correctly doesn't some year 5.0 F-150 fuel rail hook up to the TC lines? If so that would also save you the hassle of having to swap 5.0 fuel lines in from the tank to the engine bay.

Quote from: Fearnot;464215

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;464222
Maybe but I doubt it, a 5.0 is far wider than 2.3... Likely require serious "adjusting" at least...

I swapped lines from a 5.0 Bird into mine...

I swear someone on here did it, but it was years ago.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
Ok so I've been slowly getting all the little details worked out and it's getting there. Most of the wiring is all good to go, all I have to do is connect a couple wires to the instrument panel and it should all be done. Ecm and fuel relays along with the baro sensor were mounted in front of the pass side shock tower and it fires up quite nicely. All accessories are in place as well as all the cooling components on the front end. I do still need to square away the exhaust.
Right now I have my bbk longtubes and h pipe on but the lers from the fox are a bit too short and need some lengthening. The ler hangars are also missing so I'll probably need to track some down to support the lers. One issue I've ran into is the h pipe drops off a bit too close to the passenger side inside the tunnel. Does the h pipe need to be lengthened as well to get it straight?
Anyone who runs long-tubes, some advice would be appreciated
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo

Reply #20
Hey Ramos, what motor mounts did you end up using? I will be needing a set for my 88 TC with a 351C. Thanks!

Reply #21
I ended up finding a used set of Chuck mounts for a 302. He doesn't make them anymore but I was lucky enough to find a set here on the forum.
I'm not too familiar with the Cleveland engines so I'm not sure which mounts would be best for you.

Reply #22
Graham (88turbo) knows the specific of using a truck 5.0 fuel rail in a 2.3 to 5.0 conversion. Basically the idea is that the truck rail mounts to the existing 2.3 lines on the firewall (or wherever they come up from) rather than dealing with the work of making new ones to come up on the passenger side to match the Stang/Bird 5.0 units

This is what I've read and been told, haven't put it to work myself...

Ramos, I believe you were the feller who got my Chuck's mounts when I sold off my stuff, right? Glad to see it get used :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #23
Yes sir, thank you they worked out perfect. Car is almost road worthy.

Reply #24
Excellent!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6