Skip to main content
Topic: CHE Performance Uppers/Lowers (Read 12819 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CHE Performance Uppers/Lowers

Reply #75
Put mine in last night.  The right side of my car sagged an inch lower than the left and the rear sat an inch lower on both sides in the back.  Sits completely level now.  You have to take your time and do the math when adjusting the stud for the spring perch but other than that it was an easy mod.  Right now I've got a pretty good "rake" on the car but it should be pretty easy to lower it down if I feel like it!  So far I'm impressed. :grinno:
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #76
Quote from: 50tbrd88
Put mine in last night.  The right side of my car sagged an inch lower than the left and the rear sat an inch lower on both sides in the back.  Sits completely level now.  You have to take your time and do the math when adjusting the stud for the spring perch but other than that it was an easy mod.  Right now I've got a pretty good "rake" on the car but it should be pretty easy to lower it down if I feel like it!  So far I'm impressed. :grinno:

I got mine yesteday too  :banana: I can't wait to put 'em in - no more worrying about sing my expensive drag radials on the fender when I go to the track -  :spit: And my car will sit level again with my normal street radials - WOOHOO!!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #77
Here's a pic of the arms I received. They look great, I can't thank Chuck enough for his service!!

I'll get them installed eventually, when the car comes back from the body shop! They're the Candy Blue color, BTW!

--Ed
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #78
Quote from: 1FSTCAT

, that's shagy  :ies:

Reply #79
Quote from: zpyro
, that's shagy  :ies:

so shagy I just bought some :D

Reply #80
just wondering, are these specific to the Tbirds/cougars for some reason? or would they fit other fox bodies?

Reply #81
The length of the control arms is specific to the T-Bird & Cougar.  They will only fit Fox Bodies utilizing the same length upper & lower control arms.  If you are looking for this particular design for a Mustang for instance they will be different, however we can make them.

Reply #82
ah I see, I didn't know Tbirds and Stangs had diff. length control arms, I thought they were all the same

Reply #83
well got em in today. they look really nice, kinda sucks that I'm getting a Mustang and these won't fit it

Reply #84
I know you got a stang, but does that mean the Coug will be leaving you?
Either way THESE will fit the stang:http://www.cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=7&cid=2
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #85
well I don't have the $ to keep both cars running and insure them both
and it's a tbird :p

Reply #86
it's a tbird

:crazy:  :brick:  :bricks1:  :toilet:

Yup! I'm a DOPE! :D

You could always contact CHE and see if you can swap them with the mustang pieces.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #87
yeah but chuck's been such a great guy i don't want to ask too much of em :p if they really won't fit I'll look into it but who knows

Reply #88
Just an update...I finally installed my CHE arms last week. As you may know I got the very first completed set but am probably the last to install them. :)

Previous rear suspension consisted of stock uppers; Saleen/Racecraft square tube lowers; Moog cargo coils; Tenneco/Monroe quads; and Bilstein T-Bird/Cougar shocks (now discontinued). I kept everything else but changed the uppers and lowers (I am keeping the quad shocks, too, because I need help with torque transfer in this particular car). Oh, I also found that the spring isolators were shot so I got some Energy Suspension ones from Summit.

The CHE arms fit like a dream...zero effort installation. Didn't even use a rubber mallet on them. The bolt kit made everything seem like a factory install too; that's great hardware. On a 50-mile road test the car handled great. Granted, I didn't push it, but I swear it softened up the ride while keeping it very compliant. Impressive, to say the least.

One area that needed addressed was the metal brackets that hold the e-brake cables away from the tires. I'm using stock 1994 Mustang brackets. On those cars the brackets bolted to a sway bar mounting hole...no biggie. On my old setup, the square Saleen lowers were perfect: drill a hole in the side, use a self-tapping screw, it's all good. With the round CHE arms, though, this proved to be a challenge. I'm using prototype spacers that Chuck made on the fly. Passenger side was perfect. Driver's side will require something different. We're working on a more permanent and slicker solution so stay tuned. For those people that have disc brake rear ends, this will become an important issue.

Thanks so much for the hard work Chuck! Your efforts have paid off and you're a class-act guy.

Oh, here's the spacer I'm talking about:

Reply #89
No, I'm the last person to install them. I got the adjustable lowers & fixed uppers. I still haven't installed the uppers yet but I got the lowers on last night. I don't know why I had so much trouble with the rear-end rotating, but I thought I was going to collapse with exhaustion trying to get the holes to line up - what a painstaking experience it turned out to be for me. That aside, the arms are awsome! The car sits nice & high in the back again and the frickin' annoying canary I heard every time I either pressed or let-off the gas is gone! The car handles real nice - almost seems to spin a little easier in corners now because there is much less slack in the system. The road feel is better with cracks in the pavement a little bit more noticable than before - not bad mind you and I'm a fussy person WRT noise. Adjusting the spring height more than a small amount once they are installed can be quite a c (as described in the CHE instruction sheet). This is because of the 14 threads per inch bolt - I actually like the finer adjustment and effort to turn the adjuster has to be easier this way. Anyway, aside form some issues I had installing them (which has nothing to do with the control arms BTW), I am very happy with these pieces. Now to rotate the one spring I forgot to remember the orientation of before I removed it - it's 180 degrees out of where it should be and is making that side of the car .5" taller than the other side - DOH!!  :rollin:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.