more then likely just fine, i personally like to see a hair wider band
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #31
Do you mean on the Valves, Head or Both?

Also, How much pitting is acceptable? It's the only valve that has pitting and the sealing band seems ok... (Edge is bumpy, See pic 2).

I'm likely going to lap and replace seals just for piece of mind, I have to get the machine shop crud out anyway.

So if anything needs attention let me know now so I can get it done, And done right!
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #32
If that valve is the worst, I'd probably run it, as long as it's been lapped and the seats are good (looks like they have been done alright?)

Clean 'er up, put it together, and drive it for a long time. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #33
i had them rear window louvers on my mustang and looks like them are them as they do not quite fit at the bottom

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #34
Interesting Silent, I did note they fit a little awkward.

This pitted Intake Valve is bugging me. You normally want smooth internals from my research.
Is it going to affect performance at all? How in the world did an Intake Valve even get that rough and pitted to begin with?

I could buy a brand new valve for $8, But it obviously wouldn't match the cut of the others. And again, Not sure if that's a problem or not.

PS: Happy Valentines Day.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #35
pitts wont hurt anything unless it is in the seat or were it rides in the guide
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #36
The real question is, Would YOU be comfortable running something like that~With no intent in any near future to remove the head again?
Would it throw things off worse if I did buy a new intake valve, Then would I need it cut to match at the machine shop to match the others?

My perfectionist side is coming out...

I'm also having concerns with the Valve Seals (They look dirty and used)>
My rebuild kit came with "Intake Set/6" (What I'm used to seeing http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SPO0/ST2110/02314.oap?year=1984&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&vi=1140129&ck=Search_valve+stem_02314_1140129_2544&keyword=valve+stem&pt=02314&ppt=C0146) and "Exhaust set/6 with weird tube" (Lil' Umbrellas...http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SPO0/MV1819/02314.oap?year=1984&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&vi=1140129&ck=Search_valve+stem_02314_1140129_2544&keyword=valve+stem&pt=02314&ppt=C0146), From what I've read and can see the "Umbrellas" are garbage.

Of course the local parts stores don't help much.
Is this the same for you V8 guys? I assume you just use the same seals for both intake and exhaust?

And where are all the 3.8 Guys at? I know We had some... Did they get rid of the 6banger that quick? LoL.

PS: The block is fine while I'm dilly-dallying.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #37
Are you telling me you are still trying to save that old-school 6 banger? When you get it put back together, make sure you add some ZDDP to the 10-30 oil you are going to run. I killed my first engine by not knowing it had a flat-tappet cam that didn't like straight 30w.  :(
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #38
Yes, Yes I Am! I refuse to let her go to the crusher. >:-(

Where you been jrad???!!! I've had a ton of questions you can probably easily answer.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #39
jrad>What Valve Seals setup did you go with? I'm trying to avoid "Umbrella" type.

And I went looking for some extra help on the subject, And am being told these heads/valves are in terrible unacceptable shape:
http://moparforums.com/forums/f38/pitting-acceptable-14262/#post98072

Heads are going to make a trip to the local Machine Shop, and He tells it as it is over there. So I guess we will find out soon.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #40
Quote from: Romeo2k;409511
jrad>What Valve Seals setup did you go with? I'm trying to avoid "Umbrella" type.

And I went looking for some extra help on the subject, And am being told these heads/valves are in terrible unacceptable shape:
http://moparforums.com/forums/f38/pitting-acceptable-14262/#post98072

Heads are going to make a trip to the local Machine Shop, and He tells it as it is over there. So I guess we will find out soon.

nothing wrong with umbrella seals  they used them for many many years
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #41
I liked the Vitons I used on the Astro.

Second head has water passage issues (chunk missing in 2 key places, Gasket barely covers one). I'm just not satisfied at all with the purchase from A.R.S. Machine shop (FL).

I'm headed to the JY to scout for Heads to be done PROPERLY over at Jay's machine shop. And also check out an unexpected '84 T-Bird that's showing on the list.
The '87 Base Bird that had the Heads I need and Spring Hood Hinges apparently met it's maker already... which certainly didn't take long, I keep reading on the site they are trying to move inventory so that there is more NEWER (95 and up) vehicles than anything else, Which sucks.
Next 2 days at Pick-N-Pull is 1/3rd off also.

If I have to put the extra Work and Money in then so be it, It's not preferred obviously, But I need a solid top end rebuild that will last and maintain against my heavy foot.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #42
I've always been a Private Message away, I at least look in weekly.

The more I look at those valves the more I agree with everyone else. Just junk them. If you also have water jacket issues then it is definitely time for a new pair.  I tossed my original heads at least 3 years ago, otherwise they'd be all yours.  When you take the new heads to the machine shop, figure out what size valve stems they have. I think you can machine into the head anything you want, and some of the other V6(newer) guys are using these; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51900454

Viton as requested.

My new motor runs these from the factory; http://www.amazon.com/Victor-B45906-Valve-Stem-Seal/dp/B007DKPZU0

And this is listed as stock replacement on an 83 V6; http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Reinz-Exhaust-Engine-B45399/dp/B007DKPTUG
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #43
Thanks for all the info and help!

Agh, You threw your old heads out. :-(

I was eyeing the Victor Vitons, But I cant tell how many come per order or seem to find a solid answer on that part number.

JY didnt happen today sadly.
Will early tomorrow (Last day of sale). And if I find some heads I'll be struggling to pull em within 4 hours as I have an appointment elsewhere. Also need to scout spindles on a '95 Mustang that's listed.

I did get some work done, May not seem like much, But it's progress~
I wire wheeled, sanded down and cleaned up a set of Spring Hinges:

I had to use trusty Ol' Thor (Handed down from my Grandfather):

And flat blocks to straighten one out that managed to get bent where it meets the hood (Worked like a charm).

Need to pick up some Black Primer, Grab the rubber hinge seal thingers from the JY, And install. TC Hood stays Red for awhile longer.

I'm also going to weigh the original Prop Rod Hinges and then the Spring Hinges and see what the difference in weight is. I'm feeling like it's not much (Counting the prop rod).

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #44
Per Summit's website, they come 8 individual seals to a package, so for a V8 complete set you would need two packages.