Skip to main content
Topic: abs unit wanted for 88 TC (Read 1616 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: abs unit wanted for 88 TC

Reply #15
I have been reading through the shop manual for you.  The section on ABS T-bird is 110 pages long and most of it might as well be in a different lanuage.

Page six says;
Bleeding the rear rakes requires a fully changed acspoogeaulator or they must be pressure bled.
Note:  If pump motor is allowed to run continuously for approxmatley 20 minutes, a thermal safety switch (inside motor) will shut off motor.  A 2 to 10 minute cool down period is typical befor normal operation can resume.

Once acspoogeulator pressure is available to the system the rear brakes can be bled by opening the rear brake caliper bleed screws for 10 secounds at a time while holding the brake pedal in the applied position with the ignition switch in the RUN position.  Repeat until an air-free flow of brake fluid has been observed at each caliper.  Pump the brake pedal several times to complete the bleed procedure.  Adjust brake fluid level.  Warning, care must be used due to the high pressure.

Page 5 says;
Malfunction of the anti-lock brake system will cause the electronic controller to shut off.  However, normal power assisted brakeing remains.  Malfunctions are indicated by one or two warning lights inside the vehicle.

Front brakes can be bled in the conventional manner, withor without the acspoogeulator being charged.

I hope this helps.  I think the bottom line is if you do not have pressure in the acspoogeulator you are not going to have rear brakes.

TED

Reply #17
With my limited knowedge, I would say you are back to the first post.

TED

Reply #19
If the pump runs with the relay jumped, you've basically found your problem...

This system can be a pain in the ass to bleed... I use a small hand vacspooge pump to pull the fluid through the system.

Reply #20
it almost seems that if I ground the relay with the key on it makes the pump run.  is the pink blue stripe wire the ground?  if so I need to run a better ground.  what kind of vacuum pump do you use?  where can I get one?  when we tried to bleed the brakes today all we got was a few drops.

Reply #22
replace the pressure switch.

Reply #23
go to http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article21.html
it says,"the pressure switch is located under the master cylinder,inboard,tilting up at about a 30 degree angle,six inches or so in front of the firewall.
anyways it states at the bottom of the page that the person who wrote this article has owned and operated his own brake shop for 14 years.hopefully this helps.if you cant find this info,just reply and let me know.i would be willing to type in the whole article,if i had to,to help someone out.

Reply #25
I have a complete assembly out of a 87 turbo coupe. worked when I pulled it out.

Reply #26
Quote from: 30thtbird
it says,"the pressure switch is located under the master cylinder,inboard,tilting up at about a 30 degree angle,six inches or so in front of the firewall.

can you get these at any part store or is ford the only place that has them?

Reply #27
Did 87-Turbo get you the part you need?  If not I have mine out now.

Now I know why they are fairly rare, they are a bitch to get out.  The manual makes it sound so easy.

TED

Reply #28
I guess the only part that I am needing is the pressure switch.  mine will run if I jump the relay.  or maybe it just needs a relay  :dunno: