Skip to main content
Topic: Stock K-Member Dimension Info Thread (Read 39462 times) previous topic - next topic

Stock K-Member Dimension Info Thread

OK,
I want to compile some info on stock Tbird and Mustang K-members to help with the continual talking in circles on the subject. 

K-Members to be discussed:

-83-86 Tbird/ Cougar
-87-88 Tbird/ Cougar
-79-93 Mustang (non-SVO) (I know there are a couple variations)
-94-95 Mustang
-96-04 Mustang

Dimensions to be noted:

A - Control arm length
B - Width of front control arm mounting holes
C - Width of rearward control arm mounting holes
D - Vertical height between upper and lower frame mounting points
E - Width and orientation of lower frame mounting holes
F - Ball joint to ball joint width (Not track width, as wheel  backspacing/offset will alter this)

These dimensions are to ideally be taken from K-members that are not in a car, and thus are easy to get "accurate" measurements from.

[COLOR="blue"]For now, when you post in this thread, list the car the K-member is from that you are measuring and list the dimensions you are reporting.  I'll compile it all later on and make it a sticky.[/COLOR]

If you have any other suggestions or additions, please feel free to mention them, but let's keep this thread clear of clutter and heresay and just report actual data.

This should eventually help clear up all the questions and fuzzy, grey areas on what happens when you put different parts together.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
A couple examples I have:

94-95 Mustang
B - 23.25"
C - 30.25"

79-87 Mustang (From Mustang Handbook 2)
B - 22.75"
C - 30.125"
F - 51.37"

80 Mustang (Measured)
B - 22.5"
C - 30.5"
F - 50.75"

87 Mustang (Measured)
B - 23.5"
C - 31.5"
D - 7.625"
F - 51.75"

88-93 Mustang (From Mustang Handbook 2)
B - 23.75"
C - 31.125"
F - 52.37"

Reply #2
do you still have the stock Kmember from my car?

edit*
guess brent answered this question :hick: i seem to be suffering from CRS, cause i knew that.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #3
The two I have:

85-86
A-13.00"
B-24.50"
C-31.75"
D-8.25"
E-32.375"

87-88 (gumby's old k-member)
B-23.00"
C-30.50"
D-8.25"
E-32.375"

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #4
Brent-
Can you measure D & E on one of those K-members you have?

Reply #5
So far, it looks like for "D"

Tbird = 8.25"
Mustang = 7.625"

Difference = 0.625"

Reply #6
thats interesting....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #7
Yeah, I'm going to double-check that K-member I have in the garage this weekend to see what it measures out to.

Reply #8
Chuck, I have a 2000 GT k-member. I'll try to get those measurements soon and post them up for you.

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #9
This is a timely question since I'm putting a Team Z crossmember in my car this week-end.

This is what I came out with using a straight edge and tape;

1987 Turbo coupe (B and C are a lot different than BCA?)

A 14.25 (centerline of bolts to center of ball joint stud)
B  24.0
C  29.75
D  8.125 (1/8 inch less than Chuck?)
E  Outside hole 32 and inside 27.5
F  53.625 (flat on floor, marking the concrete to center of stud)

The Team Z crossmember is (I know it says stock but I thought I would throw this in)

A 13.25
B  23.50
C  29.0
D  7.75 (so I came out with only 3/8 difference, chuck had 5/8)
E  Outside 32 and inside holes 28 
F  52.0 inches

One thing that was interesting is that the Team Z control arm also moves my lower ball joint ahead 1 inch (forward to front of car). 

In order to get the two lower bolts to line up I had to cut the inside out and use a larger washer.  I could have just hogged it out but this was much easier to do and not much would be left anyways.

Mustang CC plates are completely different than the T-bird.  I'm going to make these work with drilling since I spent the money but if I had to do it over again I would have got the correct ones.

There's enough flex in the new crossmenber to make it bolt up without shims.  Only the rear bolt needs to pull up the 3/8 of an inch and I'm thinking seriously about doing this.

The change out will save 61 pounds with coil over shocks.

TED

Reply #10
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500;312808

This is what I came out with using a straight edge and tape;

1987 Turbo coupe (B and C are a lot different than BCA?)

B  24.0
[COLOR="red"]C  27.625[/COLOR]
D  8.125 (1/8 inch less than Chuck?)

TED

I'm going to question "C".  That would pretty much take all of the normal splay out of the control arms that is pretty consistent throughout all of the 78-04 K-members.  Aside from the SVO, the angle of splay on the front control arms is 16-16.5*.  Your measurement only allows for around 6.5*.

Then again are you measuring at the front and back holes, or are you trying to measure from the center of the bushing?

On the value for "D", I can see that falling within the range of error.

Reply #11
You are correct I meant to put 29.625 not 27, sorry.  I went out and remeasured to make sure and now I think it closer to 29.75.  This is the last bolt rearward and I put a scribe mark on the bottom side through the center of the bolt.  Then I measured across where I thought it came through.  If you measure from the back side at the head of the bolt it looks more like 30 inches.

TED

Reply #12
Chuck,

I have a guy who works for Ford (not a dealership) that can look up the drawings on these K-members but he needs the part numbers on them.  He cannot give me the drawings as he works for Ford (thought that sucked) but he can give me the dimensions (take what you can get).  If anyone has a stock K-Member and can read the part number post it up and hopefully he will be able to chase down what Ford designed them to be.  He said that the K-member part number should have -5025- as part of the number.  Again, there may be some error due to manufacturing tolerances but I think it would be some good data.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #13
Quote from: Aerocoupe;313213
Chuck,

I have a guy who works for Ford (not a dealership) that can look up the drawings on these K-members but he needs the part numbers on them.  He cannot give me the drawings as he works for Ford (thought that sucked) but he can give me the dimensions (take what you can get).  If anyone has a stock K-Member and can read the part number post it up and hopefully he will be able to chase down what Ford designed them to be.  He said that the K-member part number should have -5025- as part of the number.  Again, there may be some error due to manufacturing tolerances but I think it would be some good data.

Darren

I'll have to dig around.

Perhaps Brent has an easier chance to getting a # from one of the 2 he has.

Reply #14
Quote from: Chuck W;313214
Perhaps Brent has an easier chance to getting a # from one of the 2 he has.

I looked both of them over and the only tell-tale numbers that I could find were date codes. Nothing that resembles the typical Ford part number or engineering number that you see on most parts.

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built