Skip to main content
Topic: Re-mirror headlamp interior (Read 18460 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-mirror headlamp interior

Reply #45
Quote from: jcassity;402361
next up is to resurect the headlamp relay mod i did to masons's bird and add continue that thread with the 20th but....... to include a new isolated thread called "ignition switch relay mod".

Pffff, relays are so 1980s. The new in-thing is MOSFETs. Build it right and there's virtually no heat or voltage issues :p
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #46
Pffff you don't even know what MOSFET stands for you Widget  Wrangler

Reply #47
Quote from: Seek;402369
Pffff, relays are so 1980s. The new in-thing is MOSFETs. Build it right and there's virtually no heat or voltage issues :p
??????? you lost me for a nano second, fet's have been around well before the 80's matter of fact, i am pretty certain that there is an obvious reason why relays are used today......  fets do not offer true circuit isolation in a fault situation.

perhaps you fault your power poles transformer for being so 1920's, matter of fact they were and still are the only real way to electrically isolate one side of a conceptually engineered voltage from the other.  maybe they need to get an apple on that pole instead,, maybe an IPhone will replace the tranformer for your house only,, you can have it.

how are they (Mosfets) NEW?  certainly you will be licking your self induced wound correcting your technologically challged vocal chords with a creatively coreographed virtural reality rendition of what you actually meant to say,, thats ok though because fets are so 1960's and 70's.
perhaps you should get an app for that instead of the antiquated fet.

just playin.........

Reply #48
oh, one more thing,, and i may be crazy to even ask,,,
not sure why im asking but..........in light of my being open minded to new advents in technology since i work in that industry ,,,,

how are you going to do / defeat what no one else has been able to do thus far and that would be that you are saying you can defeat the production of heat and yet produce the same amount of watts?
if you say "heat sync" then your cheating.  yes a common base/emitter/collector could continuity check to the cars chassis but that still cheating.
with no heat sync you actually can power headlamps and starters ect with no production of heat....>?

i think ET has gone home man,, he took his toys with him.

Reply #49
Here's a shot of an improvement with mirrors on the flat vertical sides on the interior of the headlamp lense

Reply #50
Well I think I'm all done with this now

I'll put them back in the car and call it good

See the next few completion photos

I did the same trick on that cornering lamp lenses as I did with the headlamps. I polyurethane and heat guned them

Reply #51
i hate my stupid iphone,, makes pics look all stretched out.... so much for technology.

Reply #52
Do you have any updates on these lights?
Does the polyeurathane hold up to day to day use on a DD, what about the mirrors and duct tape?
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #53
everything is perfect for the interior of the lights.
i am not satisfied with the polyerethane , so that is removed now.

i dont understand the reference to duct tape you mention

i have another product i am going to put on the outside of the lense but yes, this mod still has me running with very bright low and high beams.

Reply #54
just a thought, could the flexible mirror stuff be heated and shaped to the original housings?

Reply #55
Chrome body wrap vinyl. Awesome stuff. I got ome from Ebay for $12, and it's enough to a do every light you have. I used it on my tail light housings when I restored them. the rest is going to Jerry for his stuff.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #56
Quote from: jcassity;402412
??????? you lost me for a nano second, fet's have been around well before the 80's matter of fact, i am pretty certain that there is an obvious reason why relays are used today......  fets do not offer true circuit isolation in a fault situation.

Hah, I'm just seeing this response now.

All I meant is that everything has become computerized around us, and for good reason - why leave more mechanical than you have to. I've had enough relays fail that I don't see the reason to keep using them, if one has the means to use MOSFETs instead. They're cheap, can handle high currents, have very low on-resistance so they're easy to heatsink and don't drop too much voltage, they don't care about switching, can handle quite a large voltage spike, I find them easier to design around/tuck away, and generally can last forever. Relays are sensitive to moisture too, so I don't give them a positive note on that over MOSFETs - both take mounting considerations. I've had a few Bosch relays die from moisture, mounted in a poor location (near the radiator support). MOSFETs need to be sealed away, and I can mount them anywhere. I no longer need the space consuming passenger side mounted relay bank that I used forever. I've been using cheap $0.50 IRF3205 MOSFETs for any general car application with great success.

In on/off situations, the heat dissipation in any decent MOSFET is almost nothing. Running two headlights through it, let's say at a high 10A of current, we're looking at under 1W of heat dissipation for the IRF3205 and even less for MOSFETs closer to 1mohm of resistance. 1W would raise the IRF3205 62C over ambient without a heatsink. With a 175C max operating temperature, there is a ton of headroom. I'd of course have it mounted to a small metal plate/enclosure to tuck away, and it'd have the metal plate open to the atmosphere. Losing less than 1% of the power as heat is negligible. The big benefit is that I can have a ton of them in a compact space. A fuse and MOSFET power distribution bank is compact and works awesome. You should see how easily I over-engineered my car alarm system (redundant and capable of handling 100A of horns/sirens if the wiring to them was sufficient). In on/off situations, heat just doesn't exist. My load has also been further decreasing as my lighting has moved to LED.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #57
what did you use for your bias voltage and did you find it nessesary to use current limiting resistors?
got a diagram of a single lamp with the fet ? 
did you do common emitter designs or did you find common base to to be easier to manage?

i agree with everything you say,,

Reply #58
Quote from: vinnietbird;429140
Chrome body wrap vinyl. Awesome stuff. I got ome from Ebay for $12, and it's enough to a do every light you have. I used it on my tail light housings when I restored them. the rest is going to Jerry for his stuff.

got a product link?
my headlamp interior looks great and the 3m paint defender is working perfect on the outside,,
asking because i may try something different like your idea

Reply #59
Here you go. Super cheap, too. I installed it on my light housings, then thought it didn;t look chrome enough.....realized that it had a protective clear outer layer tat also has to be peeled off....CHROME. I am going to do the inner and outer front lights as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-60-x12-Chrome-Mirror-Vinyl-Body-Accent-Wrap-Sheet-for-Volvo-Others-/310653538149?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485464cf65&vxp=mtr
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..